The Great Lithops and Cacti Experiment

Well, it has begun. Day one of the great lithops and cacti experiment. I recieved my seeds yesterday and will plant them this weekend. Here's hoping they do well.

Shell

Reply to
Shell91

Sorry, Shell.

Millions have successfully grown succulents from seeds before you and there is nothing experimental about it. Especially if you follow the directions.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

My what a litteral mind you have.

Shell

Reply to
Shell91

Ah, he's just cranky.

You will be very successful with the lithops. They are extremely easy to grow from seed. Just don't be tempted to over water them. Evenly moist, relatively warm soil and plenty of light. I've done it many times. I love cactus now as houseplants. I used to water everything to death, now I go months at a time without watering my cacti and they are all thriving on neglect.

Reply to
animaux

:) Great, I think they will do fine in the middle of the dining room table

Thanks Shell

Reply to
Shell91

The great thing about lithops (other than not looking like plants) is NO THORNS. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Reply to
animaux

I spent several years in Arizona and New Mexico and Colorado and I come from West Texas where thorny things abound. I agree :)

Shell

Reply to
Shell91

My dining room is extremely bright all day long but I also have a nice south facing set of sliding doors where I can set them up on a small table.

Shell

Reply to
Shell91

If anything, Steve (Cereoid) has a littoral mind, because he "shore" knows what he is talking about with cacti and succulents. But as Vic has said elsewhere in this thread, be very careful about the watering, especially in the short days and low light levels of winter months, since any more than minimal watering at well spaced intervals can turn your impressive lithops grown from seed into "mush" (been there, done that with just a few of mine!!)

Geoff (Scotland, where winter days are particularly short!)

Reply to
galyles