The Arrogance of Gardeners

I have a garden, it is right outside of my house. It is huge, probably 200 acres, and covered in towering trees, lush foliage, and beautiful flora with a little creek running through it. My garden is not just something to look at, it actually supports a riot of life. Deer, possums, raccoons, beaver, skunks, and woodchucks all call it home and thrive there. The great thing about my garden is that I can enjoy it every day and I never have to lift a finger. This is the arrogance of gardeners. They take life, force into a pot of small plot of land, kill everything they don't find desirable, keep the animals from utilizing it, provide the things it needs to grow- like water and fertilizer- because they have stolen nature's ability to do it, and then brag about "their" prize zinnias and tomatoes. They have not created anything or made it better. In fact, they have lessened it. What they accomplish with their toil and their chemicals is a pale microcosm of what happens naturally on an enormous scale every day of every year without the intervention of a single human person. Someone bragging about the produce of their garden is like someone taking the wheels off of a Ferrari, nailing them to a board, and bragging about the car they created. So, gardeners, go dig and cultivate, plant and fertilize, water and weed, wear the skin off your hands and break you backs to accomplish nothing more than growing a small clump of a handful of plants. I shall go out on my deck and, without lifting a finger, enjoy the grandeur and glory of the handiwork that is the *true* garden.

Reply to
The Cunning Linguist :Þ

Having grown up in the country, I'm the first person to love the natural environment. On my 2/3 acre yard, I have specifically forbidden any interference in certain areas, wishing to allow those to stay the way they grew.

However, I have small children, and as the person in charge of their growth and good health, I feel an obligation to provide for them the best foods I can. If this means clearing out a few areas and planting vegetables that are fresh and free from chemicals, then so be it. My family is better off for it, and I still get to enjoy the natural landscape in other areas of the yard.

To think that we can keep the environment exactly as it is and still survive is unrealistic. Sometimes humans do have to upset the balance enough to allow edible things to grow for their families.

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

Trolls suck....and not in a good way.....

Reply to
Tom Randy

Security service have been the ones lacking of fantasy proust.

Still did not exist and that is just a poem.

One of those kooky moonies.

-- Lady Chatterly

"Is this an example of Lady Loverley's Chatter?" -- Nemo

Reply to
Lady Chatterly

After cutting off all the useless crossposting, I have this to say ... I live in the High Mojave Desert and I have carved out a small area of almost useless dirt that didn't grow much more than tumbleweeds and now have a good number of Iris, Iceplant, and other wild flowers I've gotten to grow. This year I'm adding a area that'll have morning glorys growing and blooming, at a time when the rest of the desert is a dead brown in color, I'll have a splash of green with other colors mixed in. I've even found a rare desert flower that come up last year and I've gotten it to keep on growing and have protected it and promoted it's growing.

As far as you, one word ... "TROLL".

You have no garden.

Reply to
Starlord

Not one of your actions.

-- Lady Chatterly

"Well, to be fair, LC has become more than a bot." -- [ DocQuixote ]

Reply to
Lady Chatterly

VIII, "Jackdaw"

But what about the hat? Ooops... never mind... that was an alien...

-- Lady Chatterly

"oh no, the bot is after me!" -- sbb78247

Reply to
Lady Chatterly