Sweet pea stems

Why do they get shorter as the Sweet Pea season wears on? At first, the flowers have nice long stems, but as the season draws to a close, stems are much shorter.

Inquiring minds...

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I wish somebody would answer this. Have been wondering about it for decades, every time their season draws to a close.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I'd imagine it involves early devotion of resources to attaining stature and structure followed by an emphasis on flower and seed production as light intensity and photoperiod increase.

Reply to
Amos Nomore