Succulents....

Hi I am a new not very expert passionate gardener! I would like to plant some succulent plants on a pot in my balcony, how deep should the pot be more or less? I wanted to buy a round flat one, would that be ok? Thanku :)

Reply to
laurap74

Hi Laura, the shape and size of the pot is of little relavence but what is of great importance is drainage and compost. Make sure that the container has suitable drainage and that the compost you use is gritty and very free draining. I use a mixture (by volume) of 3 parts multipurpose to one of sharp gritty sand.

As a general rule, keep the compost only just moist in summer but come winter, let it dry out completely, only watering very little !

Lannerman.

Reply to
lannerman

Good idea!

Reply to
CGCC STUDENT

It depends on the succulent. The bigger they are, the deeper the pot. When you unpot each plant make the pot just a little bit deeper if the plants will get bigger. You really need to look up each type of succulent and find out the cultural requirements. for example: Jades are succulent and they need big heavy pots because the plants get so top heavy.

INgrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo