Strawberry Tree

I was given a strawberry tree, arbutus unedo, early in December. It has seemed to be growing ok but new leaves keep coming and then start to turn brown and gradually fall off. It is doesnt seem to be able to keep its leaves. Is there something that it needs in the way of feed or something else that I need to do

Reply to
Pat Chatburn

Strawberry plant requires steady schedule of watering.Any problem regarding leaves shows water stress. You can have another option of hydroponic growing.

You can enjoy growing strawberries with easy manner with hydroponic gardening.You need use of water, nutrient solutions and artificial light; and you can grow hydroponic strawberries indoor using as much space as a microwave requires.

Reply to
allen73

In message , allen73 writes

Strawberry tree is Arbutus unedo (a small ericaceous tree), which has fruits with a strawberry-like appearance, though it is possible another species of Arbutus was intended.

Instructions on growing strawberries (Fragaria x ananassa) are not germane.

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley

New leaves browning and falling off can be a symptom of waterlogging, or of drought.

Is it planted somewhere well-drained? They are naturally plants of rocky mediterranean places with very good drainage, and would probably hate water-logging.

Drought can be problem if you plant a very pot-bound plant, and didn't untangle the roots. This is because water can't penetrate the tangled root bundle, and the roots can't escape to take water from the surrounding soil. If the established leaves look a bit wilted, as well as new leaves falling off, that might indicate drought.

Since my own seems indestructibly vigorous and problem free, and I've never fed it, and I planted it on not very fertile stony soil, I don't think feeding it is likely to be the answer. I did have to water it when it was young in dry periods, before it had developed a deep root system. I don't water it now.

Reply to
echinosum