Weeping Cherry Tree died suddenly

I planted a weeping Cherry tree early this spring. It has done well in the flowerbed, despite the drought and heat (I water it good). Anyway, a week ago, some of the leaves started to turn brown, and now they all all brown.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

"Oscar_Lives" wrote

Weeping Cherries, can be a sensitive to start. I had one I planted earlier this year, and decided to move it. Had the same symptoms as you describe, mine came through. Don't give up on it yet.

Depth is important, if you planted it too deep, this could be part of the problem. Also, the hole you dug needs to be quite a bit bigger than the container it came out of. They're kind of sensitive to, too much water, 5 gallons a day is enough.

Check to see if you have any new buds, you'll have to look close, and they do bud out this time of year. If you have _any_, your tree probably is going to be ok.

I would try a small about of fertilizer, preferably something you add to water, so you don't do any further harm.

In the future, whenever you plant, consider _Mycorrhizal_ while planting. This is the real deal, no snake oil.

Reply to
Anthony

I hit it with the root stimulator when I planted it last Spring.

We did get 5 inches of rain after a long drought. The flower bed is well-drained, though.

I'll keep an eye on it and not yank it out yet.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

"Oscar_Lives" wrote

Something else to consider, is where you are located & where the tree originated from. In the spring, we haul in our weeping cheeries out of Georgia, we are in the Midwest on the Ohio/Michigan border. Reason we haul them in from the south, they blossom and flush out early, something the contractors and nurseries are after instead of selling a bare tree. Later in the spring, we get the home grown stuff to sell because of the later flushing. The trucked-in trees begin to lose their foilage & or color change earlier than the home grown.

Reply to
Anthony