squirrels stealing tomatoes

I have many squirrels, and the worst that they have done is tip over seedlings that have been set out to catch some sun. Maybe I'm just crazy lucky. I'm curious though. Are there any oak trees around you, or other trees that would provide nourishment for the squirrels?

Reply to
Billy

Lots of trees around here. Though some streets don't have any, but in general lots around. No oaks on the block but some mighty ones a few blocks away.

I have a maple in the front yard about two stories high. There is a squirrel that appears to own it and chases away any squirrels that encroach... I had a problem with some getting into a section of my roof last year, piece of soffit was missing I found out later and a couple squirrels discovered it and thought it was a dandy place to move in to. The exterminator said even if you cover up where they were getting in, they will come back and do whatever they can to get back in. So his company euthanizes any caught. Though he said they could also catch and release down state about 30 miles. But after reading what happens to a squirrel released into unfamiliar territory where squirrels already live, decided it was more humane to euthanize.

Reply to
Gus

Oh, little mysteries of life.

Reply to
Billy

Yet, on BBC Overnight, the other days was a story about using insects for food. Many children die of malnutrition in this world we live in, but insects provide a good source of protein and sustenance. The interviewee suggested that it would be worthwhile to set up insect farms to raise insects for food. Approximately 1/2 of children under 5 that die, die of malnutrition related problems.

People eat some disgusting looking things such as lobsters, crawfish and crabs-- why not insects? Is a lobster that much different than a giant cockroach? Some societies eat insects. And don't chimps consider ants a delicacy? Though I can't imagine eating an insect and find it completely repulsive. Why is that?

I was thinking someone should come up with something to do with all the cicadas. Migrant workers could travel around capturing the different broods that appear in different years. You have to remove the shells and scratchy parts, and ground them up. But we already do that with many meats. Hamburger looks nothing like Betsy the cow (or the 100 different Betsys it may be from.) You know, if the locust shell in the box I saw had been ground up, I am pretty sure I never would have known the difference and ate the soup none the worse for wear.

Reply to
Gus

From someone that's squirrely ;)

Reply to
Frank

There is no shortage of food. But war displaces farmers, lack of roads and transportation minimizes the movement of food to where the hungry people are making the people have to move to where the food and water is, which usually means abandoning their farms. And then there is just poverty, the inability to pay for food especially if somebody upchain is hoarding food and selling it too high.

Animal food from the ocean is ideal for brain development, high in cholesterol as well as protein. Thinking is human brains developed/evolved in conjunction with sea food diet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo

Yup. They will chew thru solid steel to get back in. Ingrid

On Thu, 16 May 2013 15:57:47 -0400, "Gus" wrote: I had a problem with some getting into a section of my roof

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo

Watch out! Squirrels with angle grinders! The worst sort.

David Hare-Scott

At least it was before we started using the ocean as a toxic waste dump for mercury, Chlorinated Dioxin, PBDEs, DDT, petroleum, Arsenic, and PCBs. This doesn't include the melamine that has been added to fish from China.

If you eat fish, you should check with a guide first.

high in

Reply to
Billy

Go to your local Asian market and get some bright red (fresh) Thai chilies. Attach them to your plants with twist ties. One little nibble and they'll find some other thing to eat.

Reply to
hooknbullet

They are evil incarnate.

Reply to
Gus

I once did this with garlic for gophers. My luck, Italian gophers. If you have Thai Buddhist squirrels, they may start manifesting for napalm curry. Stiff upper lip, and all that sort of thing.

Worse comes to worse, cook with those tomatoes. One hundred and eighty-one degrees fahrenheit for 20 minutes will take care of any bacteria. Boil the spaghetti sauce, and the pathogens are goners.

Reply to
Billy

Odd, I feed my squirrels walnuts to come around.

Reply to
Billy