squirrels-proofing tomatoes

Squirrels appear to be chewing on our tomatoes, just when they get ripe.

(a) Does netting deter them?

(b) It's been very dry here. It was once suggested here that rodents are often looking for water, and if you give them another source, they'll stay out of your garden. Has anyone ever tried this?

(c) Anything else? Trapping seems ineffective. Shooting is not an option. (Nearby school, laws, being a bad shot, ..) Nor is poison. Habitat disruption would be a very major effort.

Thanks, George

Reply to
George

Yes. drape inexpensive bird netting over them down to the ground. I buy it at Ace hardware.

I have heard putting a clean pan of water near the plants they're going after helps. It didn't work for me. The drought caused a failure of nuts this year so they're going after our garden for the first time.

Reply to
Manelli Family

Fence the yard.

Get a dog.

Works for me!

Reply to
Omelet

Interesting thing, global warming...

We've had so much rain here this year, Pecan branches are breaking under the nut load.

The squirrel population is probably going to boom next year.

Reply to
Omelet

Reply to
Aluckyguess

If the squirrels were large enough for me to hit them, a BB gun wouldn't be adequate to take them down. Plus, if they were that big and I killed one ... It just keeps getting uglier. This is not a good path to go down.

George

Chicken type wire with the small openings. It doesn't make for an attractive garden, but it is effective.

Our tomatoes are in pots up on a third story deck and darn if that houdini squirrel can't climb up the siding and eat our tomatoes anyway. We put up with some loss. Can you tolerate some loss or are they eating all your tomatoes?

marcella

Reply to
Marcella Peek

Squirrel is delicious.

I can kill a squirrel with a BB gun at 10 yards easily.

Improve your marksmanship using tin cans.

Rifles are not as difficult to improve with as pistols are.

Reply to
Omelet

On the other hand, there are motion sensitive sprinklers. I think they are called "scare crows".

Reply to
Billy

That might work but so far, other than fencing and keeping a dog back there, the chicken wire idea sounds like the best suggestion.

Reply to
Omelet

We're not getting a lot of yield this year, so every one is precious. Moreso because they seem to taste better than some years.

George

That would be wrapping the plants in chicken wire? We do that with our (meager) blueberries. It can be frustrating stuff to deal with, if it's not nailed down.

George

Depends on how tall it is. Try some 4 ft. and see if that works.

Bread/trashbag ties are cheap. ;-)

Use some tall stakes to wire it to, or whatever you are using for supports?

Honestly, I have squirrels in the yard and I've never had them eat tomatoes.

But, I have dogs. A pair of lab/chows that would happily make short work of them if they caught them. ;-)

I've used the 2" chicken wire over the ground (successfully) to prevent them from digging up bulbs.

Reply to
Omelet

It hasn't rained here in almost 4 months. All we've had are a few light sprinkles. Our property is a disaster with dead and dying trees and shrubs.... there are too many things to try and save.

Reply to
Manelli Family

I feel for you. We have lived with drought a lot in the past few years. On the down side, I got NO figs.

The global weather patterns are really weird right now.

I wish y'all the best!

Reply to
Omelet

I wouldn't think a BB gun would be that accurate. What about a pellet gun?

Reply to
doofy

I never found a real significant difference, but Pellets are ballistically superior to BB's for sure due to their shape. :-)

So, that might help.

Practice practice practice. Plinking with BB/Pellet guns can be fun anyway. It's all in the aiming and trigger control.

Reply to
Omelet