Squirrel in my Garden

Well, yesterday I looked out the window and there was a squirrel walking around in my garden... I have been working on it for the last two months, and some of the veggies are just starting to come in. I don't want any thieves messing with it. It is fenced, and any literate squirrel should know that he/she isn't allowed there. ...... Probably a Mexican squirrel.....

I opened the door and shouted at it to go away.... no reaction. I picked up a rock and threw it at the little bastard(bitch?) .... no reaction.

It just sat there, 20 feet away, staring at me. I could tell what it was thinking...... 1) I am faster than you are. 2) I can climb trees better than you 3) I am smarter than you are 4) Fuck you !!!

I reached behind my door, pulled out my .177 air rifle, and shot his furry little ass dead..........

In doing so, I taught the squirrel a valuable lesson. A lesson that I learned many years ago.

"If you underestimate your competition, and provoke him, you may get your furry little ass shot off "

( Exerpt from " The World According to JungleAndy" )

I just wanted to share my yesterday adventure with you...... No... I didn't skin , clean, and cook the squirrel. I am leaving him in the garden so that his brothers and sisters will garner some wisdom from his plight........ As of now, I have seen no evidence of any other squirrel ( or rabbit) strolling thru my garden. ........ crows either.....

Yes, Joanie had gone into town at the time, and , no, I don't plan to tell her about it....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
AndyS

Personally I havn't had problems with squirrels in the garden. I thought squirrels prefer other snacks other than vegetables. Rabbits can do a lot of damage, and fencing will keep them out.

Reply to
Phisherman

You will, if you leave him (her) there too long.

Reply to
Pennyaline

In my yard, I use to have beautiful grey squirrels. They didn't seem terribly destructive, other than they ate some of the Cherries, and apricots in the next door neighbor's yard. However, in recent years, the grey squirrels have been pretty much overrun by another species of squirrels that are more brown, a little smaller, a little scragglier, and definitely more destructive. I have caught them red-handed chewing on the roof to my gazebo. I can go out there and yell at them, and they just ignore me and keep chewing, unless I get a little more agressive with them.

I really haven't seen too much that has brought their population down, other than having a neighbor pop them with a pellet gun!

I suspect you might try some kind of a rodent brick, but if you have pets, you'd likely need to be extremely careful.

Goood luck!. . .and if you have any luck, please let us know!

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

Depending on the law in your area, you may want to consider using poison bait. Squirrels don't give a damn about rat bait, they ignore it. In california you can buy this stuff:

's sold at home depot and lowes, it's usually stocked on the bottom shelf of the pest/insecticide shelves. Works fairly well, just make sure it's placed in a proper enclosure, so pets and birds can't get at it.

-S

Reply to
Snooze

It looks like that bait is used more for pocket gophers and ground squirrels. The squirrels I have are of the tree squirrel variety (I think). They run a great deal along the tops of my fences. I'm wondering how that stuff would work if I put up some sort of feeder near the top of my fence???

I live in California too!

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

Check out

you want to look for Wilco Ground Squirrel Bait.

Also read:

squirrels are protected, and apparently have a certain hunting season. Ground squirrels on the other hand are open season. You can either buy one of the special squirrel feeders. I just put a few pellets in a 4" wide pvc pipe, since I don't have any pets or children in my yard, I just need to protect it from turning into bird food.

-S

Reply to
Snooze