Spray to kill lawn grass?

I have a large gravel covered area and the black covering that goes beneath it has rotted and torn away. Each week I find myself pulling more and more grass out of the gravel.

Is there a spray to kill lawn grass (not just weeds)? Or do I have to shovel all that rock out and place new plastic underneath? Ugh. It's 100° outside and I would hate to have to do that.

-- Remove _pooperscooper_ from email if you reply

Reply to
Rich

You can use a total vegetation killer. Be sure to read the label because you may not be able to use it where tree roots are below the surface. Most of these herbicides claim to prevent regrowth for up to a year.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I forgot to mention that I have a two year old boy who has a habit of picking up rocks and licking them, or putting them in his mouth... when I'm not looking of course. I catch him doing this every time I turn my back on him. So this probably isn't a good idea, is it? Or, could it be sprayed off the gravel and still be effective? I just don't know if this is a good idea after all.

Reply to
Rich

Given the heat and the reflective surface of the rock, vinegar could do the trick. Might also discourage rock tasting.

Reply to
Chelsea Christenson

This is a regular maintenance problem with seeds blown in or taken in by animals. There are several ways to deal with this problem. I have used a propane torch to kill small amounts of unwanted grass, but only when growing next to non-combustion materials. RoundUp or Finale sprayed onto the grass should work.

Reply to
Phisherman

This is an excellent idea, but I'd look for an acetic acid solution formulated specifically for garden use. There is one available in this area called 'Blackberry and Brush Blocker' and it is of much higher concentration than simple household vinegar. It would certainly do the trick.

Even using something like RoundUp, which will certainly solve your weed problem, your son would have to lick all of the gravel and probably still wouldn't suffer much more than a nasty taste in his mouth. Still a practice I would discourage, though :-)) Kids!!

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal