Spider Apple

I was at a local Farmer's market a couple of weeks ago and saw someone selling a fruit called - "Spider Apple". They said it can be used to keep spiders away from areas of the house. Does anyone know what the real name of the fruit or vegetable is. It is about the size of an green apple, and has a wrinkly looking skin.

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Daniel

Google doesn't seem to know anything about a spider apple

suspect it's a gimic that someone came up with to sell some extra apples, I can't imagine a reason why spiders would shun an area just because an apple was in the area.

-S

Reply to
Snooze

The fruit of the Osage orange or hedge apple (Maclura pomifera) has the folk-reputation of being an pest repellent. That might be morphable into "spider apple" I suppose.

According to this article, the fruit of the Osage orange actually contains a chemical that has insect repellant properties, so maybe there's a nugget of truth in the folk tale--but the fruit should be crushed before being set out as a repellant.

fall the hedge apples lay thick under a pair of trees I regularly drive by, sizes ranging from apple up beyond large grapefruit.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Better read what this article has to say about this:

Hemma

Reply to
Hemmaholic