Shredded paper mulch

We've been shredding old records. I seem to recall that shredded paper makes a good mulch. Is this so? Anybody have experience with it?

Reply to
Wolf K

It depends on the paper, and how much bleach and other chemicals is in it.

Reply to
Scooter the Mighty

What kind of ink is on the paper?

Reply to
Travis M.

I generate far too much paperwork at the office (insurance agency), so I've been using shredder output in the garden for some time. Works very well, holds up for several months, gets tilled into the ground in the fall and decomposes over the winter. When I have too much for mulch, I composte it directly, works fine there, too.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

I use the output from my shredder around camellias and azaleas. I lay it out quite thick and wet it.

Reply to
David E. Ross