Shipped tomato plants...broken tip

The end of one of the tomato plants is snapped almost completely off. It is hanging on by two millimeters of stem. Basically the plant is two lateral leafs and then a broken tip. WIll this regrow new branches? It is snapped at the crotch of the second leaf, so I don't know if that will send out anything.

Any hope for a plant damaged so close to the root? DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

Don't count on it. You're in Westchester. There must be tons of garden centers within 15 minutes of where you live. Why on earth would you mail order tomato plants, which are as common as white bread? Hard-to-find plants - that I can see. But tomatoes???

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It will be just fine.

Reply to
Travis

I ordered uncommon varieties that I have trouble finding locally. For instance the only Cherokee Purple I found last year was large plants for between $18-30.00 each at an upscale nursery. Instead it costs a total of ~$3.50 per plant from Territorial Seed, and I get to experiment with all unusual varieties. Last year I didn't find Brandywine or Black Crim anywhere, and I thought surely someone must carry Brandywine. This way I also don't waste gas & time(don't have enough of this as is) hunting all over Westchester for a nursery with unusuals. Most of the local nurseries have the same selection over and over again (earyl girl, better boy, big beef, healthy kick). And you'll never know who will have what. I visited a series of nurseries a few weeks ago(spent the entire day driving around and shopping) and, of course, absolutely no tomatoes or any other summer fruit. Until they get them in you won't know who will carry what. Catalog shopping is a hell of a lot more reliable as long as you trust the vendor.

I'd preferred to have spend $3 on enough seeds for the next four years and grown them all from seed, but I had missed starting seedlings this year due to crazy work schedules.

Case in point, my landlord just came from home depot. They had two varieties of tomatoes on display and register lines snaking through the entire garden center. The nice UPS man dropped them off and they are in the ground. When you don't have the time, the extra cost can buy you time. I paid about $1 more than home depot. Totally worth it.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

That's what I figured. I'll put it in the ground next to the replacement Territorial Seed is sending next week. If it grows anything, it grows.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

anyways and it grew back. Just give it a little TLC.

Reply to
RhondaM

I'll put my bet on it growing fine. Tomatoes can take a lot of abusive, well, let's call it pruning, as long as the ongoing care they get once planted is good.

Good to hear they're sending a replacement. I could be that they sent out the best, and your replacement might not be starting off as well, but I'll put my money on both your broken plant, and any replacement, even if it's an abused left-over, doing fine. Maybe they'll be a week or two behind what they could have been, but they ought to be fine.

Reply to
Warren

That's good to hear. I've planted next to where the replacement will be planted. I'll see what that kind of damage does to it's growth across the season. The biggest concern is that there is only one stem-crotch for a new vine to branch out of. The second one is where the stem has been ripped. It'll be interesting if it can sprout a new one from the damaged and open area.