Water in the garden

Hello Everyone:

My husband and l are landscaping our 1/2 acre of property in Alberta, Canada. I am looking to introduce the sound of running water into the back yard. I do not want a pond. I think l am looking for something that l can install, like a fountain with a pump and maybe a bird bath. Any ideas on websites where l can find some? I don't want to spend a fortune. The sound of water, while sitting outside is a beautiful thing.

Please advise, Magdalena

Reply to
Nena

Yes. We got a bird bath and had an old outdoor pump to keep the water circulating. This also keeps mosquitoes from breeding. I went looking for a bigger pump and found a local nursery that advertises water features. You can pay anywhere from $15 to $700 depending on size.

One problem I noticed was the foam filter seems to get clogged up easily, cutting down on the capacity. I'm thinking about just leaving it out altogether.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

I would look at local garden centers and home improvement stores. Most bird baths and fountains are very heavy and expensive to ship.

Reply to
Vox Humana

If you don't find anything locally, you might try Frontgate. They have a good selection of garden object, including "art" pieces and fountains. You should subscribe to some of their catalogs to keep updated on their offering.

Vox Humana

Look in this online catalog. There is a lovely copper water fountain. I lov ethe look of it and can only imagine the sound.

bet you find something here.

BetsyB

Reply to
BetsyB

Well, I normally lurk on this group, but you're an Albertan.

I think you're on the right track not doing the pond thing. They're a lot of work for something you only have open for 4-5 months of the year. And if you have fish in the pond you either have to install a heater or take them in for the winter. Which is why my neighbor has a very large tank in her very small living room.

I'm not familiar with what is available in northern Alberta, but I've seen small fountains for sale several places in Calgary, besides places like Home Depot or Canadian Tire. The Gardening Angel, and Edwards come to mind. You might also consider taking the Calgary Horticultural Society garden tour. Several members of the Horticultural Society incorporate small water features into their gardens.

Upcoming events are on the website and you might want to take a look at some of the links:

'm sure the Edmonton Horticultural Society has tours as well if Edmonton is closer.

You might want to look at this website. It has several on-line catalogue for Canadian suppliers linked in.

under specialties: water gardening Dora

Reply to
bungadora

The amount of noise depends on how far the water drops.

Reply to
Pat

As well as whether it drops on standing or flowing water or rocks, and how great the flow is, and how focused it is, and a half dozen other variables. You can also have masculine and feminine sounds, and various tones, some which travel further, and thus will sound comparatively louder further away.

Of all the variables, how far the water drops is probably one of the least important factor in how loud it sounds.

Reply to
Warren

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

AT:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Reply to
dr-solo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

AT:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Reply to
dr-solo

well. living in zone 5 even I have this desire for something besides ice and snow all winter long. I think people farther north NEED a greenhouse of some kind to take the edge off, to hasten spring, delay fall. even a tiny greenhouse with a pond and waterfall at one end are going to provide an oasis of life in winter (OK, so my finches do a lot of that). I would NOT put the greenhouse "out" where I would have to shovel a walk to get there (done that, didnt care for that at all). better to have the little greenhouse attached to the house in some manner so can step right into the greenhouse (or have the door swing IN). Greenhouses do not have to be heated for them to provide winter relief. If they are situated with protection (and snow acts as insulator on the bottom) they get pleasant when the winter sun shines in. a greenhouse, a small pump and pond heater is all that is needed to keep the water moving all winter.

P>I think you're on the right track not doing the pond thing. They're a

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

AT:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Reply to
dr-solo

Might someone please elaborate (or post a link) on the techniques of manipulating the water sounds as you mentoned?

Reply to
Toni

Lovely pond, Ingrid. My neighbor says that the pond isn't that much work while it's in use - prep and cleaning up in the fall are what have worn her down. The season is so short here, and I prefer to enjoy it while I can.

I like creeks with little waterfalls personally. Not that I have the ambition to do that myself.

If the OP is still reading, I saw some fountains at a local greenhouse last weekend. Dora

Reply to
bungadora