Shagbark Hickory

It is so tall that I am concerned it may fall on the house in a storm, but I don't want to lose the privacy it gives. Can I have it cut to half its height? How long would it last if it were cut.

Reply to
Kaygee

"Kaygee" expounded:

What makes you think it will fall on the house? The only way it would do that is if it broke, which is doubtful, unless it's diseased. Hickories are extremely deeply rooted, just try pulling a seedling out of the ground once it has four leaves or so! You'll ruin the shape completely if you cut it (or pollard it, I hate it when trees are butchered that way).

Reply to
Ann

It is a native tree for your area. It will be just fine and you won't have to worry about it. It is a hardwood tree that withstands high winds.

Kaygee wrote:

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

I envy you your tree-- shagbark hickory is absolutely stunning.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Almost certainly better to remove the tree if it is a hazard than "...cut it to half its height." Have a professional consulting arborist (see ASCA

a professional in your area. Good luck.

Reply to
Mike LaMana