Removing 1.5 Acres of Bamboo in Towson, MD

On 2/9/2012 10:17 PM, Ron wrote: ...

Not sure if tongue-in-cheek or not; w/ Haller, probably not. :(

Next we'll be hearing how the K&T wiring must come out... :)

Reply to
dpb

@Nate:

It might not be "native" to Maryland, but it is growing there on its own over a 1.5 acre area -- which makes it something that might require permission of/supervision from the AHJ or environmental/conservation authorities before you go about removing it on your own...

The nativity of a species of plant doesn't impact its vital role as a means of erosion control and as a water absorber...

Making major changes which effect erosion and water flow properties of most lands requires oversight -- it is the size of the area in which the OP seeks to modify that is really at issue...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

well my post was a joke, but one never knows, and using herbicides likely make it worse.

i have some new K&T info but thats for another day........

Reply to
bob haller

On 2/10/2012 11:13 AM, Evan wrote: ...

I'd think it far more likely to be on a noxious weed list _requiring_ control than the converse...

Reply to
dpb

Then, nicely done!

Reply to
Ron

Were it protected land; water shed, riparian, wetlands, etc, the owner would know by perusing the property survey or simply phoning the town clerk. Such information is generally on line too as it's public record... they'd be able to say if there is a septic or utility line buried. Absent a body of water on that piece of land I seriously doubt that stand of bamboo is in any way protected... I have a 1/2 pond that I mow right to the edge each fall and cut out most of the catails. I'd just hack that basmboo down and do whatever it takes within legality (chems/fire) to be rid of it. With the right equipment it shouldn't take very long to cut, chip, plow, and rake that small plot, no more than 4 eight hour days and like 40 gallons of diesel. If kept closely mowed whatever roots remain will die off within a couple three seasons, I seriously doubt any defolient is necessary, just keep mowing, even if twice a week... with my 7' mower I can mow an acre in 20 minutes. I mow 10 acres of lawn every week, when weather is dry I can do it all in one day, and I have several separate areas, and lots of edging, miles of edging. With my brush hog I can chop down a 4 acre wildflower meadow in about four hours, typically 4'-6' tall:

problem with my finish mower either:
clearing wild turkeys have a feast:
can guarantee I'd have that bamboo gone in three days, all while in total A/C, dust-free comfort, with music blasting, wouldn't even work up a sweat.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

You could spray it. With Roundup. Or Napalm.

Attack it with a bush-hog, or, if too big, a stump grinder. My local power company hired a crew with what looked like a stump-grinder on the end of a

60' cherry-picker. It turned large trees to sawdust on their right of way.

Put an ad on Craigslist: "Free Bamboo - You cut it you can have it" to cull the herd to a manageable size.

One pass with a bulldozer ought to knock it to the ground. Then treat the area with a herbicide or ground sterilizer.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hello all. I've been in talks with the local government (whom I work for) about the legal necessities and ramifications of this job.

I've located the septic tank well within the bamboo. So looks like I'll be using a chainsaw around there.

I got an email from a local government forester who referred me to the Home Horticulture & Master Gardener Coordinator at University of MD, Carroll County Extension. He gave me two links, one of which I've seen already posted. The first one is by Frank Gouin (retired MD Agronomist, who was the Bamboo guru).

I am leaning towards some means of chopping it down to ground level (brush hog/saws), disposing the bamboo however (chipper?), and then applying Roundup in the Fall, as described in the first link.

Also for the friends of nature here, even if we clear cut the whole bamboo, there's still three acres of old growth deciduous trees behind it to harbor plenty of animals and what not. One of the main reasons for wanting to clear the bamboo is to prevent it from taking over the giant trees back there. I think killing off an invasive forest for the benefit of an old one, is a good trade off. But that's not the point of this post.

Thank you all for all the tips thus far. I think this post will find its way into Google searches and benefit many more people than just me.

Reply to
Elliott P