Tree for front garden

Hi all, new here.

I've been in my house for 2 years, and was a complete novice, now after

2 years or ripping out, re planting, hard landscaping, am getting quite good!

Now, the front garden. Pulled out all the rubbish last few weekends, and will be lawning it all. Proceeding nicely with clay soil and current frosts!

I want to put a tree in the front garden, and always wanted (from the age of about 7!) a christmas type tree so i can put lights on. Now a fully fledged adult (!) and here is my chance.

Front garden is about 9M x 3.5M. Don't want the tree to outgrow the height of the house - circa 4.5M to eaves.

Any ideas, have looked at so many online, but conflicting information and now getting lost!

Not necessarily a conical shaped traditional christmas tree, but something pine like, with a bit of all year round interest hence a traditional xmas tree not being the answer - anyhow, suggestions really appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Reply to
MJM40

You don't seem to know what you want, and you don't have enough space for a standard tree. Christmas trees are traditionally conical conifers, however with your small yard I'd suggest a semi dwarf variety. Besides with standard trees it won't be five years and you'd not be able to reach the top for decorating without a ladder, and that only for another year or two as trees grow wider as well as taller. I suggest this intermediary sized tree but feel free to browse the other conifers:

Brooklyn1

You say you get frost. But how cold does it get? What are your summers like? In short, where are you and what is your climate?

Reply to
David E. Ross

From the gardenbanter address, I assume you're in the UK. Are you near Kent? If so: Bedgebury has one of the outstanding conifer collections in the world:

Go see what the plants are like, taking your garden book with you.

Likewise, most of the bigger botanical gardens and horticultural gardens like Wisley, Edinburgh, and others will have well grown specimens of various cultivars that may fit your needs. Be sure to understand how the sun is going to hit the tree during various seasons... many of the shade tolerant conifers winterburn badly. Trees are big investments; choose wisely for your site.

Personally, I'd put in a mixture of things in your garden rather than one big tree, so you can have more of a design of colors and textures and seasonal interest. The other thing about largish trees is that they get really expensive if you have to take them down, particularly in close quarters like you have.

I'm sitting here watching one of the neighborhood Douglas firs tip slowly over in our wet clay soil. It's only about 40 ft, so just a baby, but if it falls where I think it's going to, it's probably going to take down the power line for this area. Oh joy.

Have you considered hiring a landscape architect or whatever the British equivalent of a consulting arborist is? An hour or two's consultation fee can narrow the range for your consideration, giving due weight to exposure, climate, resistance to pollution, etc.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

How about a pyramidal holly of some sort? Pick the correct type and gender and you will have shiny green leaves all year long pre-decorated with red berries on a slow-growing tree that will not take over your patch of lawn. Not quite your normal 'Christmas' tree but they can be attractive and tough.

Reply to
John McGaw
[/i][/color]

How about a pyramidal holly of some sort? Pick the correct type and gender

and you will have shiny green leaves all year long pre-decorated with red

berries on a slow-growing tree that will not take over your patch of lawn.

Not quite your normal 'Christmas' tree but they can be attractive and tough.

Perfect, Never thought of that. Will have a look

Thanks for all your help

Reply to
MJM40