Re: Why does everyone p**s all over Purple Loosestrife?

The only native turfgrass, or grass which can be considered native turfgrass is Buffalo Grass. They have dwarf varieties which never need mowing. If I had a lot of sun out front, I would strip off the St. Augustine and plant buffalo sod all over. I have it growing in the back yard prairie garden.

Reply to
animaux

While I really hate lawns and have been trying to eliminate ours inch by inch (it is an issue between me and my S.O. which is the only reason I'm going that slow), they do have a purpose when you have children that enjoy any kind of yard play (soccer, baseball, football, cartwheels, etc.). The only reason that I don't let mine grow wild and be taken over by wild flowers is respect for the neighbors but I sure do hope that someday people come to their senses and create housing developments that have a "green" for the children to play on and everyone else uses their land for gardens that produce food and beauty. DK

Reply to
dkat

etc.). The

gardens that

In other words, you want someone ELSE to provide for your kids and not you.

If you don't want a lawn, fine... Just don't expect the city to put in a park to keep your kids happy! You think that wildgrass is good, yet you want the developer to put in the exact lawn you want to get rid of... Sounds like hypocrisy to me!

wealthy

vegetation --

wildlife is

skunks,

Reply to
Phrederik

No it sounds like a reasonable COMMUNITY solution to a problem of perceived over use of water hogging fertilizer and pesticide intensive lawn grass. If the COMMUNITY decides to go with the commons idea then no one is imposing their will on the majority since the group governing the place makes the decision. Watch that knee jerking, might hurt yourself. Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR

Lower Michigan

42° 35' 20'' N, 82° 58' 37'' W GMT Offset: -5 Time Zone: Eastern
Reply to
Dave Fouchey

Does this mean that you also object to community basketball courts, pools, tennis courts, etc.?

They are making some really beautiful suburban communities now where you can walk to the public transportation, neighborhood stores, etc. with old time common grounds and buildings for the community to function without having to drive for absolutely every want and need. Note I said community not suburban parking lots with places to keep your car while you sleep.

DK

Reply to
dkat

I'm not a big fan of public courts, etc... but as long as they are maintained properly and are acutally used they are a good thing. Also, with all the loonies out there, you have to watch your kids anytime they are playing away from home. Community areas used to be great... now they're just someplace to get snatched from.

My objection is simply that you want somewhere else for your kids to play so you can have your 'garden'. If you have kids, the FIRST place they should be playing is in their yard.

hundred

colorful

clover

plantings.