Re: when to plant daffs? Zone 4a

Plant as soon as possible when they arrive. Most shippers time the arrival for the best average planting time for your area. I'm in zone 7 and have planted spring bulbs anywhere from end of September to December.

I just got a notice that the daffs I ordered a month ago from Dutch Bulb >company is shipping, direct from the supplier in Holland. So I can expect >them in a couple of weeks. > >Are there any other zone 4a's out there with rules of thumb for when to >plant bulbs? I've heard that you should wait for two weeks of night temps >in the 40-50 F range but most of the falls that I can remember since I >arrived in Minnesota 8 years ago were pretty zig zag in terms of the temps. >I think it was last fall that we had temps in the teens then it shot back up >to the 50s and 60s. I realize that nothing is for sure but has anyone had >success using a particular plan? When are you thinking of planting your >bulbs this year? > >mm >
Reply to
fran

Carolyn LeCrone

I guess I am more afraid of a warm spell causing them to start growing early rather than not getting enough cold winter weather.

mm

Reply to
mmarteen