Re: Tomatoe rot on bottoms of fruit

Greetings to everyone on the site from Minnesota. Just found the site

> today looking for an answer to one question. I have 3 potted roma > tomatoe plants and have noticed that when the fruit starts to ripen, > the bottoms of the fruit rot. What can cause this and is there a > remedy for this? Thanks in advance to all replies!:cool: > -- > fireman182 > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > posted via

Go here:

Fito

. I have 3 potted roma

One disagreement about what they say concerning the use of lime in the Gardenweb site:

I have stopped blossom end rot within 2-3 weeks just by scratching a small amount of lime into the dirt around the base of the plant, and then watering it in good.

Reply to
Retiredff

I recently picked a couple tomatos that had this. They were low on the plant and perhaps the first ones set or close to it. All the other fruit looks to be BER free best I can tell. My plants are so thick I have to get on my hand and knees to see many of the fruit. They are in Earth Boxes.

Incidently, I picked my first ripe tomato yesterday. Words alone cannot descibe my jubilation. I place it on the table and said a prayer! After many years of trying to grow my favorite vegetable, next to spring/fall lettuce and spinach...finally success. Last year was my first garden at this house and operator error caused disaster with my plants. In previous years I planted amoungst Black Walnut trees (I didn't have a choice) and unbeknownst to me, until three years with no tomatos, I discovered from this newsgroup that the trees were my problem.

I do wish you the best with your tomatos. I know the heartbreak that comes with a failed tomato crop!

sparkie

Reply to
sparkie

BER will correct itself in marginal conditions, will not correct itself if the uptake is poor (whether it is too much water or too little Ca), and will not show up at all in my conditions (raised beds plus I always give the plants some wood ash).

Reply to
simy1