Re: Planting New Shrubs - How to Prepare Soil?

We will be re-planting shrubs, plants & small trees on our front property

> here in NJ. I'm seeking advice on the best way to prepare the land and soil > for this job. > > The approximate area is 25' wide x 10' deep and was recently cleared of all > the old hedges and small trees- removal, stump grinding and all. The dirt on > my property is a hard clay type but this area was softened (dry and almost > mushy) by the removal work. I recently raked and whacked all weeds growing > there too. Next, I plan on sealing the area with a plastic weed barrier, > topping with good topsoil, then digging the holes and inserting the > shrubs/plants/trees. > > Is the above method correct for starting new plantings? Should I use the > weed barrier? Do I need the topsoil? Will fall be the best time to plant for > them to survive the winter? Is there anything else I should be doing? > > If you have a web site how-to link, that would help me too! > >
Reply to
V_coerulea

Hey Billy,

1) A rototiller is a machine that turns the soil over, which saves you having to do it by hand. 2) If your soil is pretty heavy clay you need to add a 2" layer of sand to the topsoil before you use the rototiller or shovel. The sand will help with the drainage of the soil. Some peat moss wouldn't hurt either (same amount as the sand). 3) It would also be wise to add a sprinkle of bone meal in every hole that you plant in. Mix some more in the soil you are filling the hole with. Hope this helps,
Reply to
J. Lane

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but why is it required that I turn the soil over before topsoil and planting?

Reply to
Billy