Re: Ok to Dig Up Spring Bulbs?

Subject: Ok to Dig Up Spring Bulbs?

>From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Fleemo) >Date: 3/26/2004 3:14 AM Eastern Standard Time >Message-id: > >For the first time last fall, I planted one of my raised beds (that >normally contain vegetables) with spring bulbs like ranunculus, >crocus, iris, and freesia. I'd like to see them bloom again next >year, but don't want them to hog the raised bed space all summer. Can >I dig them up at some point after their foliage fades and plant summer >crops, returning the bulbs to the ground next fall? Or must they >hibernate in the same spot all year if I want to see them next spring? >

After the leaves die back, you can dig them. If you are far enough south for them to be hardy, you might have better luck just leaving them and planting between them.

The crocus especially would do better if left out, otherwise they should be planted before winter. If you have cold winters, the Freesia and possibly the Ranunculus will have to be dug before winter.

-

theoneflasehaddock

Reply to
theoneflasehaddock