Tulip bulbs

Hey there! I'm new to the forum and new to gardening too :) I've become curious about it and want to plant some tulip bulbs I bought in Holland last weekend! Could you tell me how deep do they need to be planted and how often I need to water them? Thankyouuuu

Reply to
sophiebi

i'm not sure if you are talking about bulbs that are not yet growing or actually growing plants?

3 times the size of the bulb is a reasonable guesstimate. soil should be not too heavy and water only when actively growing. they do better when allowed to dry out somewhat in the summer. water well when planted.

tulip bulbs are best planted in the fall and not the spring, but if they are actively growing they may survive. do not be surprised if you do not get the best results next year (bulbs that are not yet planted will be very confused).

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Thank you! I was talking about bulbs that are not yet growing, so I see it's not the best time to plant them...

Reply to
sophiebi

sophiebi wrote: ...

y.w. :)

true.

if you plant them now they may or may not bloom, but for sure the next year will be affected.

if you want a better solution i would plant them now (water well) and then plan on replanting replacements in the fall.

most spring flowering bulbs will be best when planted in the fall unless there is a significant note on the planting guides as to why they should be planted otherwise.

songbird

Reply to
songbird