Re: @#*%)^@ Cats!

Actually a discussion on the lack of rights a homeowner has to abuse animals would be more accurate.

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

Is that your neck or a circumcision scar?

Reply to
John DeBoo

Neither. That's your mother's mouth, Dumboo.

I'm being insulted by some peabrain using comcast.net? Now, that's really funny!!!

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

My neighbor and I too have trouble with one cat in particular crapping in our flower beds. However, he seems to hide it very well. I don't have my vegetable garden fenced in and have no problems with rabbits, although they are around as I found a nest in my yard under a couple bags of mulch. Rabbits love tulips, crocus, and other flowers as well as vegetables but again I have no problem. If this stray cat is the reason then for now I am willing to clean up after him. I have no way of knowing for sure. I'm sure he is helping to keep the rodent population down as well. I will say this though. If I start having problems with vegetables and flowers being consumed I will first speak to the owner. If that does not work then I will do the most humane thing possible to get rid of him which will including calling the city first. which incidently I did when I first moved in. In two weeks I caught two stray cats I didn't know were around. The one we knew of avoided the trap. Then I thought to myself he may be the reason I don't have rabbit problems so I let it go. If all else fails I will buy my own trap, trap him, and take him to the game lands and put a bullet in his head.

cheers, sparkie

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 06:57:36 -0400, "Dvd" wrote:

Reply to
sparkie

Ahh, spoken like a true adult!

Reply to
sparkie

I wonder if these fishermen are gardeners gone mad from cat scat.

Slow

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

-- Lucy

------------------------------------------------------------------------ posted via

Lucy

...and don't forget their FISH and BIRDS too!

Did you ever stop and think that a Cat is not a Dog? You can't just leash a cat into your yard like a dog. Just because something works for a dog doesn't mean it applies to other animals.

I assume that you sit on your porch at night with a shotgun shooting at rabbits and frogs just in case they get in your flowerbed as well?

Reply to
Some One

Yes, you damn well can!!!!!!! Plenty of people do!

"Cat, the new white meat"

Graham

Reply to
graham

You could just pave over everything and stick in plastic and wood flowers, carpet with artifical turf, etc. That would keep out all the annoying "criters" :) I curse the squirrels for digging up my freshly planted annuals, the kingfisher for eating my most attractive goldfish, my cats for wiping out my rodent population, etc. but I leave it at that and acknowledge they the have as much right to the earth as I do and that I no more "own" my piece of acreage than those before me who dumped their garbage on it or those after me that will probably dig up all my treasured plants and put in a pool to drown their own or a neighbor's kid in.

DK

Reply to
DKat

: Second because cats on leashes frequently hang :themselves on trees and fences.

Why don't the people on the other end of the leashes notice that the cat has hung itself on a tree or a fence? They can't be more than 6 to 12 feet away.

Reply to
Wendy Chatley Green

You'll be alright, just as soon as you have some *real* problems in life to deal with, and spend enough years with a good psychiatrist in order to learn how to deal with your sickness.

Mentally average people, emotionally adjusted to an average degree, don't even kid about shooting animals.

Gee, James, animals were made with certain natural instincts. Talk to God if you want to complain about how the cats behavior offends you. I'm willing to bet he/she will have all kinds of (far more serious) things to take you to task over that offend him/her.

Grow up. Go feed starving people instead of worrying about cats in your garden, and wasting time in your life to post related tripe on the Internet. Neither your garden, or you, are ever going to make a bit of difference to this planet, to civilization -- except to drag it farther down.

At least learn to keep your mouth shut, and your fingers still, so you don't run about proving what a dumb person you are any more than you absolutely must.

I wholeheartedly agree and believe James should look to God to help out with his cat problem. But as "OrangeFluffyCat" pointed out, God is probably a tad busy with far more serious things, so just take a leaf out of His Book when dealing with your neighbour's cats.

God seems particularly partial to animal sacrifices in the form of burnt offerings, however He has been known to drown animals in vast quantities (albeit as an aside to dealing with a few pesky humans). A cattle murraign is obviously not much use to you and can be disregarded, however I feel I should mention it as it might assist others in this news group who seem to have a deer problem.

I'm sure a little research in the Good Book will unearth many other God approved ways to to allieviate your cat problem, but might I suggest you actually drown the cats before you burn them? Although not very God-like, it does appear more humane.

Regards

Chu

Reply to
Chu Mai Fat

In article , snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net enlightened us with...

Gee, this doesn't happen to dogs. And how does a cat hang itself when the owner has the other end of the leash in their hand? How bizarre...

Dogs should be leashed. Cats should be leashed. In fact, no pet, regardless of species, should wander around unsupervised, be it a dog, a horse, a cat, or a ferret. They should be on their owner's property or under their control at all times. It's a pet. Take care of it. Your neighbors shouldn't have to deal with the nuisance. It's not their animal.

------------------------------------------------- ~kaeli~ Black holes were created when God divided by 0. Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

kaeli

destroyed.

bizarre...

Are you really that stupid?

When you let your dog into the back yard to dump, there is (should be) a fence to keep them in. This doesn't work with cats, so all you can do (according to the cat haters) is leash them to a tree/post so they don't get out of the yard.

Cats are OUTDOOR animals. If you want an indoor animal, get a fish.

I assume you roam the neighbourhoods making sure that the wildlife is the only thing on the streets? Foxes and skunks aren't a problem at all. It's just the pets, eh?

Reply to
Some One

"paghat" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@soggy72.drizzle.com...

Very well summed up. Humans just hate to share "their"(?) space.

Elaine

Reply to
Elaine Rene

Not in San Jose, as of last March. I lived there three years and never had any law enforcement agent do anything about the 10 or 12 rogue cats in our neighborhood.

I agree that a cat should not ever be collar4ed, break-away or not.

My point was, break-away collars injure and kill cats as well.

If the cat is microchipped, this sin't an issue.

does a damn good job of keeping my cats in the yard, and other cats out. I have cats and when they go outside, I go with them. They are not allowed to go outside my fenced property. I expect my neighbors to do the same.

The law does not require tethering a cat and leaving it unattended.

besides, leashing and tethering are separate acts. I walked my cats on leashes prior to living in Oregon because I didn't have suitable places to allow them to roam - they jumped the fence, and since we didn't own the home, I couldn't install the barriers.

A fence will hold a cat, especially if the owner is present to make sure the cat doesn't foil the barrier.

That's ridiculous. The issue is you want to allow cats outside

*unattended*. Ok. I have given you a system that works for me (and other people I know) - a 6 ft. cedar fence with a CAT BARRIER. I still don't trust my cats outside unattended because I fear they will escape although they have not to date. You have to accept responsibility for your pet. Allowing it to roam is not responsible, and YES society has the right to make you responsible for the actions of your companion animals.

Like I said, I don't believe in collaring cats.

Yes, but how many of those are a threat to public health? The only disease that is considered worthy of warning by the CDC is toxoplasmosis.

If it (or other zoonotic diseases) was a threat to public health, there would be an aggressive campaign to eradicate the disease in cats and humans, or at least, warnings would be disseminated as they are for toxo. Those programs simply do not exist because the threat from the disease is small.

Which are "severe and life threatening" AND pose a threat to public health in the US?

People who let their cats roam do way more to fuel the fires of the cat-haters of the world than any perceived threat to public health.

Good, as it should be.

You haven't worked in rescue much, have you?

good. Identifying the "owners" of problem cats takes the blame off of use who abide by the law.

If a cat is turned into the proper authority, they have an obligation to keep the cat under standard conditions until it is claimed, rehomed, or destroyed.

Seems to me that people who let their cats roam wantonly are the ones who are unconcerned for the safety of their animals...

I didn't say they "easily become lost". I said if they were to become lost. A microchip is the only safe way to identify a cat - not collars with tags, which you yourself admit is undesirable for good reason.

I worked for a feline specialty veterinarian and cannot tell you how many times people "found a new stray" in their neighborhood, and brought it in to us for care. Our policy was to scan it for microchip, and if one was found, the registry was contacted and the cat reunited with the original owner. Microchipping works. I'm damn glad my cats are microchipped. If you let your cat roam and have irate neighbors, they might just pick up your friendly kitty and drop him off in another neighborhood, or another town. The only way you are going to get your cat back is if it is microchipped.

Sorry, but having worked in the rescue arena for over 15 years, I can tell you that not all animal control people are heartless witches. Most want nothing more than to help reunite animals with their owners. Nobody likes to euthanize an animal.

Cats aren't wildlife.

Domestic animals are not a problem if they are well cared-for by their responsible "owners". You cannot *pretend* to take responsibility for the life of another living creature, and then shirk all of that responsibility.

Oh, please. Now you are being melodramatic.

Cats and dogs are not wild animals. You cannot expect them to be given the same protection under the law. They are part of an artificial system which HUMANS created, and HUMANS have to be responsible for them.

-L.

Reply to
-L.

solution to all cat problems (remember - it's a joke.....)

Reply to
Bill Spohn

Change it to babies and it would be funny...

-L.

Reply to
-L.