rabbit repellant?

I am new here and this has probably been addressed aud nauseum. But what works to keep cottontail rabbits from eating my Hostas? We planted a bunch and they just mow them down (in MN). Have tried blood meal, commercial repellants, Irish Spring soap as a rec from a friend. Other than chicken wire what works? The area is large, don't really want to fence it. Sully

Reply to
Sully

A fence with an electric wire. All of the spray ons are just salad dressing for the rabbits.

Reply to
Sunflower

Herd of Maine Coon Cats Muahahahahaha ;-)

Cats out there will keep them down, as well as dogs, but of course you'd need to put something over the poor stubs to keep the dogs from trampling them.

Otherwise.. electric fences.. not too attractive, nor legal in most places. If you can stand to do it, build something to put over them at night and take them off in the day time might protect them from the night munchers.

I know of no products that *work* .. lots that claim to, but if there are any.. those more knowledgable than I will let you know.

If they are out there all the time though, it does sound like that the only long term solution would be fencing them out, which would mean putting some wire down below the ground if no more than like an L.. where the wire folds out onto the ground that you have skimmed a little .. then put the dirt back over the wire.. because generally they'd hop along and when encountering the fence try to dig under close to the fence.

If you don't think it's a big infestation you could see if the local animal shelter will loan you a live trap .. see if you can lure it in. If they don't have one, you might be able to rent one. Then again, you may find investing in one a good idea if you have continual problems with critters. Just need to figure out what they really like to bait it with. Well hosta leaves you know.. but you'd have to block access to any hostas except those IN the cage. May take awhile, but it's worth a shot. Ask around to see if there is a bait they find irresistible.

Janice

Reply to
Janice