Question about tomatoes

I've been doing that one for ages. My version is simple:

Nuke the cut-up green beans in the micro, covered, with a TBSP or two of water. Saves all the nutrients that would get lost in boiling water.

Meantime, grind TAMARI almonds in the Cuisinart, not too fine.

Sauter the almonds in butter. When toasty but not burned, add the cooked beans, mix well, salt to taste. Consume!

The soy sauce flavor of the Tamari almonds makes all the diff.

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

well, i did say you could grill them too..........stir-fry isn't that high in cholesterol when you cook it up right. when you stir-fry you could use your olive or canola oil then. well, actually you could use those oil in any of the ways i mentioned (expect during canning - lol) bake with some smart balance (or whatever you use for butter/marg.)

when i pan-sear or even for frying sometimes, i use a salad dressing instead of oil. last night was porkchops cooked in kraft free catalina dressing. i use free italian to cook hamburgers in when i can't grill. also use italian on the porkchops sometimes too.

string beans are pretty good with the free italian dressing for seasoning too. but every now and then, you just have to go the good ole' southern route. with the country ham bits or bacon with a bit of butter............all full of cholesterol.......yum!

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

wonderful. I asked online for green tomatoes and had a bushel full last fall. I started with batter (tempura batter is excellent), then did dredge in amaranth flour, finally I just zapped em in the microwave when I got tired of all the grease. they are great side dish. they DO need to be salted for maximum flavor. Ingrid

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 01:18:43 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Reply to
dr-solo

Thanks.

Reply to
Billy Rose

A commercial web site. I was hoping for a Chalies mother-in-law recipe.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Fine.....I was tired and didn't feel like typing.....here's the deal we do......certainly not my M-I-L's

About a pound of young beans

1/4 C unsalted butter 1/2 C sliced unblanched almonds 1/4 C chopped shallots or green onions 1/4 C water 1 lemon wedge, or to taste S & P

Steam the beans until bright

Melt the butter and continue cooking slowly until the solids lightly carmelize (like you were making ghee) Add the sliced almonds and shallots or green onions. Saute' until almonds are lightly browned. Add beans and water, cook over high heat until beans are hot and the sauce coats the beans.

Squeeze lemon over beans and S & P to taste.

We have substituted pine nuts for the almonds and like it well.

Is that better?

CHarlie

Reply to
Charlie