Question about tomatoes

My tomato plants are four feet tall and are laden with full market size green tomatoes. Seem to me that some should begin to ripen but they continue to stay green. In fact it seems that they have been that way for almost a month. When may i expect to see some ripe tomatoes? BTW I'm in the north Atlanta area. Thanks, Johnny raised-garden-bed.com

Reply to
Johnny

are they getting enough sun? try picking one or two now, and sit them in the sun, outside or inside. they should turn in a couple of days, depending on variety. or you could get your fill of fried green maters! lol

rae

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in news:467f1520$ snipped-for-privacy@news.intrstar.net:

Okay, I can't stand it. What do fried green tomatoes taste like?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Patience. It sounds as if the plants have their hands full. But if they have gotten this far, they will complete the journey. They know what they are doing. Relax.

Reply to
Billy Rose

"FragileWarrior" >> Thanks,

just slice in round slices, batter, & fry..........folks 'round here love them.

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 01:18:43 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

They taste....wonderful! A little tart, with spicy overtones.

Just like Rae says....a bit of batter (we just dredge with flour, whatever coating you prefer, I feel too much batter or coating detracts from the flavor), and fry 'em. We prefer ours sliced about 3/8, so's they get crispy on the outside and tender on the in.

The more green they are, the more tart they will be. Some like them seasoned with things like Emeril's essence, we prefer S & P only.

Seriously, do some.......they are freakin' awsome.

It's also a great way to use the pre-frost greenies.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Good advice.

So often we forget to be human-beings in our haste to be human-doings.

Wax on. Wax off.

Should only be a few days and we'll be enjoying the first haricots verts. Same for the zuchinni. Cukes aren't far off.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Do you know, off the top of your head or do I have to look it up, if green beans need to be replanted to maintain production during the season? One end of my row (1/3) is cranking. Beans every other day. the other end has just set flowers and the middle s still growing. No, not all planted at the same time.

I await you Delphic pronouncement.

Reply to
Billy Rose

buttin' in.......

i've never had to replant my green beans before. What I've grown usually keeps re-producing all season,

buttin' out now, Rae

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

No, they don't have to be, but they are heat and moisture sensitive and will drop off production if really hot and/or get too dry. Keep them picked, or energy will go to seed production.

You should be doing fine. If you get some space freed up, refer to OtherBill's frost planting guide and tuck in a few new seeds to start production when the weather cools, if you think things are looking bad.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Butt right ahead gentle lady.

I'm happy to read that I won't have to replace the plants.

My main worry right now is that I'm going to burn out on green beans. The recipe that I use for green beans can be used with carrots, mushrooms, parsnips, and peas. But I need to find another variation so that I don't lose interest in green beans since I seem to have brought in a gusher of green beans.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Green Beans Almondine....simple, delicious, a favorite 'round here.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

ok, just to make sure we are completely on the same page............

your green beans are what us country folk call "string beans" right? or are you refering to lima beans as green beans.

I assumed the "string beans" in my first post, but i grow and cook both. clarify my mind and we can possibly move onto recipes.........

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

Buttin' in! ;-)

He's gotta be talking about string beans. Otherwise he'd be mentioning green (lima) beans and corn in the same breath.

Succotash. Ready for that, we are, soon as the corn comes in!

Charlie....buttin' out now

Reply to
Charlie
*snip*

wanted to make sure..............lol i've heard so many refer to green beans in various ways!

ok, well now, bill, you could can them for later use. they can be grilled or fried.

you can boil them and season with bacon or ham bits, or butter (or a butter substitute), cooked with boiled potatos is always good, pan sear for a crisp taste, they are good for stir-fries (some soy sauce and carrot strips, maybe a few water chestnuts) and then there is the ever famous string bean casserole (with fried onion topping).

so take your pick................

rachael aka rae

not the rachael ray

lol

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

Just some reassurance here. Same story here, except one of the larger ones has finally shown some orange hue to it. They'll probably all ripen within a week of each other at this rate. Still making blooms as well. Like the tomato to ripen on the plant, vice the window. Lot richer taste in my opinion. Dave

Reply to
Dave

Green bean, string beans, haricot verts it's all the same. I'm not talkin' shelled beans.

Lay it on me.

Reply to
Billy Rose

That sound that you hear is my cholesterol ringing the bell. Lord have mercy. What you got with olive oil and/or canolola oil child? With boiled potatoes sounds good. Keep it comin'.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Whaaaaat? I gotta look it up? Come on already.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Whatta freekin' weiner.......here.

do the lemon routine, sometimes with a bit of dry white.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie