Question about mountain laurels

Hello,

We have been in this house for three years now. The first year we had mountain laurels and they bloomed around the end of may. Last year they didn't bloom at all. This year they havent bloomed yet and when I drive around Mt. Laurel NJ I see the blooms on the side of the road.

Any idea about what is going on?

Reply to
Alan Spitz

I don't know why yours have not bloomed. I don't see any mountain laurels here in the valley, but in the mountains they are currently in full bloom. They seem to be particular about where they grow and are sensitive to climate changes. It may not help this year, but you could put a layer of mulch around them and hope for the best in 2009.

Reply to
Phisherman

Mulch, composted tree trimmings, not fresh chips, would be best if kept away from trunk at least 6". No more than 3-4" thick and flat.

Laurel are unique regarding the cambial electrical resistance.

Also with the mulch a dose of micro-elements would not be a bad idea.

Reply to
symplastless

Are you sure they are Mountain Laurel, and not Rhododendrums ? Many folks use the names of these two distinct plants interchangably, but that is incorrect of course as they are two different plants.

If they turn out to be Rhododendrums, then if they are **native** plants, they will not bloom every year. The hybrid Rhododendrums bloom each year.

James

Reply to
James