Purple maiden grass ("Miscanthus sinensis")...I'm worried.

I'm in NW Illinois.

Planted 3 purple maiden grass last year, and they got huge.

In early April I trimmed the dead grass down to about 6".

I don't see any new growth yet. When should I expect to?

Reply to
Anonymous

don't be surprised if they don't come up until june, especially if they are in a shady area. i have 4 different grasses and only 2 of them have started to come up. it also makes a difference how much organic matter is in the soil. sandier soils seem to give grasses an earlier start and longer season while well composted soil will encourage more vigorous growth for a shorter period.

Reply to
ricks555