Problems with bluebells

New here so appriciate any advise.....

We planted some bluebells bought from a local garden centre, they flowered the first year but we have had no flowers since. they appear to be spreading and 'clumping' nicely but still no flowers. Any thoughts????

the boarders are regularly fed and compost refreshed regularly.

We are at a loss, we would love some blooms......

Thanks

Carl

Reply to
CarlH

how much sun do they get?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Good question to ask, but in our yard, (central New Jersey) they run wild and bloom in the sun and the shade.

Wikipedia has this caution:

The bulbs produce contractile roots; when these roots contract, they draw the bulbs down into deeper layers of the soil where there is greater moisture, reaching depths of 10?12 cm (3.9?4.7 in).[8] This may explain the absence of H. non-scripta from thin soils over chalk in South East England, since the bulbs are unable to penetrate into sufficiently deep soils.

Reply to
Dan Espen

They are in partial shade under an apple tree......

Reply to
CarlH

1 Select the area to plant the bluebell bulbs. They thrive best in partial shade or dappled sunlight; if they must receive light, they do best with a little morning sun and afternoon shade. These flowers can be planted under deciduous trees, or in borders, but do not do well when crowded by other flowers. Sow compost or organic matter into the soil to help retain moisture. 2 Plant the bluebell bulbs in late summer or early fall. Dig a hole 2 inches deep. Set the bulbs in a mass in the hole, with the flat side down and pointed end up, spacing no more than 3 inches apart. If you are planting white bluebells, handle carefully; the bulb is brittle and can be easily damaged. Carefully spread soil over the bulbs, gently tamping it down. Water to settle soil around the roots. Water moderately during the fall and winter, especially if planted in warmer temperatures. 3 Water the Bluebells moderately once the 'flower blooms'
The flowering season of a bluebell is generally from April to May. They suffer if there is a sudden heat wave during the spring. 4 Remove faded blossoms. Leave the stems if you want the plants to reseed themselves. Keep the soil moist until the foliage dies down and them remove it at ground leve. The bulbs do best when left alone, but if they get overcrowed, they can be lifted and divided in late summer. However, replant immediately to avoid drying out the bulbs.
Reply to
allen73