Making railings, any advise?

I am considering making some railings to go on top of a low section of wall beside the house. Have any of you done this? Any advise or words of warning?

I have found this website which sell all the finials etc at reasonable cost.

I also know where I can buy pre drilled bar for the horizontal rails.

My plan is to lay the pre drilled bar on the wall and use it as a template for drilling the flags that form the capping. Then simply build the railings in situ, having welded finials onto the upright first of all in the workshop. The height need only be about 500mm so I am unsure whether to have just one horizontal or two. The ends can be secured to existing higher wall one end and a stone pillar the other. I need to take care though as the walls and pillar are quite old.

Any advise appreciated.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

In article , MuddyMike writes

I've not done this but have seen a few installations with cast detailing that has been vandalised, cast stuff seems too brittle and will break off if struck so I'd say avoid those and use forged/fabricated if you can.

You may get more replies on uk.d-i-y , there's def a forging metalwork nut over there.

Reply to
fred