Privacy hudge suggestions for Houston, TX

Yes, absolutely. I always recommend to get a native that comes from within a 100 mile radius or less of one's location. That way one gets the true one from their area.

=

Yes, I can send him a local retailer list. Thanks, Jim.

Yes, there are farmers and ranchers who refer to Yaupon Holly that way. And in the wild, it can definitely get thick. Here in the city, there are Yaupon species that can stay fairly controllable.

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

You know that many whiteflies could sure in the birds and beneficials,...aah... maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves. We're trying to get him to plant native shrubs/trees. I don't think he's ready for the a butterfly/nectar garden quite yet. BUT when he is....

Hey, I like your nature taglines. How'd you do that?

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

opined: =

That's right. Here's the link:

I think Jim Lewis might work in landscape. Not sure, but some of his comments seem that way.

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, can't wait to move in and get started!

Reply to
SJE

Nonsense. My oleander is pushing 8 years old. The oleander on the beltway medians is over 10.

Cancer also exists in Texas. That doesn't mean we all die from cancer.

Secret Asian Man wrote:

Reply to
Secret Asian Man

Could be. I haven't forgotten your frog fruit! Us, with that frogfruit chase!

I'll get it to you. It's in the greenhouse in 6 packs. I haven't potted them into 4" pots yet. I will send them to you unpotted. Hard to kill these.

animaux

Although not a native plant to the US, Oleander is a fairly good plant to use as a screen. It doesn't attract any wildlife but it is durable. Since it doesn't produce berries, birds don't contribute to spreading it around the environment and causing it to become a dominant species. Those "oleanders" on Beltway 8 "are" 10 years old or older. I do have one of these planted behind the garage and its about 14' tall. =

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

Victoria, I think Jim Lewis might work in landscape. Not sure, but some of his comments seem that way.

No. I'm a retired environmental educator, an amateur botanist, a Florida "Advanced Master Gardener" (FWIW), and have been growing bonsai for nearly 30 years, concentrating (mostly) on native trees and shrubs. I have a hard time thinking of anything more enjoyable than wandering through the woods at any time of year looking at plants (and pulling up escaped exotics! Ardesia is my latest pet peeve around here.).

I do my own landscaping, such as it is, but that's it.

Jim Lewis - snipped-for-privacy@nettally.com - Tallahassee, FL - Only where people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Reply to
Jim Lewis