power rake vs. manual rake

When it comes to working with grass does a power rake do a better job versus a manual steel rake? I don't mean FASTER, but overall better job? Do the two implements even do the same job? Meaning can this

doe the same job as this
?

Reply to
Eigenvector

this

the same job as this
pretty obvious to me that the power rake will do a much better job than anyone with a hand rake. Of course it depends on what you desire to accomplish by raking, and what size area.

Reply to
Sheldon

True, it all depends on what you need to do.

I first wanted to establish that they both CAN do the same thing.

I'm looking at overseeding a 10'x5' area of grass and the idea of renting a power rake seemed like a waste of money - especially when I can simply accomplish the same thing with a metal rake. A 50 sq ft plot of land isn't going to kill me, but hauling around that power rake might. I don't need to rake the rest of my yard, its fine.

I don't suppose they sell sharpened version of a rake that can break up the top layer of dirt without destroying the grass - I guess they do, a thatcher.

Reply to
Eigenvector

If you break up the earth that's called "seeding", not overseeding.

Reply to
Sheldon

Well I guess that's one way to interpret that, however the manufacturer of the seeds doesn't follow your definition. In either case break up the top layer of soil is what I did.

As for a power rake, it would indeed have made the job easier, but I just went ahead and raked the grass manually after work. I think if I had to do a 1/4 acre or more, I rent a power rake, otherwise its just as efficient to use a manual rake for that task - either way you still have to collect and dispose of the material brought to the surface by the rake.

Reply to
Eigenvector