Poppies from Seed

All,

Has anyone tried to sprout poppies using the poppy seeds from the grocery store?

Reply to
Rich McKinney

I did, it works. Maybe not with all batches, but it worked for me. I tried it last week and planted a whole lot of poppies in the backyard.

Ignoramus32087

Thanks, That was quick....

Reply to
Rich McKinney

i think that they are called breadseed poppies

kinds of poppyseeds will germinate easily, but as i recently foun out, will not grow very big or very fast in zones 7 and above. i don know if this helps

- agnatha314

----------------------------------------------------------------------- posted via

agnatha3141

Well, this is simply an experiment, I am in zone 5.

Ignoramus32087

Reply to
gregpresley

Um, are these opium poppies legal to plant?

I planted them in an area where we removed a few trees and planted four new fruit trees as a new orchard. Because the new trees are very small, that area has a lot of unnused land. Icould not think of anything easier than just spreading store poppy seeds on the ground and raking it a bit. Hopefully, we could harvest some poppy seeds later, if not, I would simply have wasted 50 grams of store bought seeds.

Ignoramus29346

I am in Zone 7b (Southern NC). My wife wants to try it anyway.

Reply to
Rich McKinney

Reply to
gregpresley

I direct seeded at the end of April here (zone 7b) in a plot in full sun, and had blooms well before season's end. I don't know how many successful plant for the number of seeds sown, but quite a few. It may be ideal to start them earlier in spring, or way earlier, in the previous fall, but they seemed to do OK.

Reply to
Frogleg