poblano to ancho question

Hi All,

Do Poblano chilies turn red (Ancho) on the vine, or do you have to pick them first?

If you leave them on the vine to turn red, how long does it typically take? Three weeks?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

Peppers do not ripen further once picked. There are many variables that determine how long peppers require to achieve a particular degree of ripeness. Not knowing in what climate you are in all I can say is if you live where freezing weather occurs be sure to harvest your peppers prior to the first light frost regardless how ripe or they will likely be ruined.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Thank you. And it just froze last night. I have to go check the damage. :'(

Reply to
Todd

I have a couple that have been hanging for 2 months, and are still green. When I buy them dried at the local" Super Mercado", they look black. The color in my chili is strictly tomatoes.

Reply to
Billy

I have been ripening mine (from my graden) and from the local Mexican supermarket on a counter. When I find ones at the supermarket that have started turning, I snatch them up.

Reply to
Todd

Todd rote:

Pablanos turn from green to brown (ancho) with a maroon hue.

Brooklyn1

Do they have to be picked to do this?

Reply to
Todd

I like to let them start to turn before picking them, they seem to ripen be tter. They don't become ancho until they are dried. Just toss them on the d ehydrator for a couple of days or so. They are an essential spice in my hom e, that smoky, spicy, raisonny flavor is wonderful in chili!

Reply to
Steve Peek

There should be chili beans in your future.

CHILI BEANS

2 c. dry beans 6 c. water 2 c. red chili sauce 1 tsp. oregano 1 tsp. ground cumin 1/2 c. finely chopped onion 1 clove garlic, finely chopped 1/2 lb. ground beef

Wash beans and boil in water for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour or longer. Cook beans 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on kind, until tender. Simmer the chili sauce with the spices, onion and garlic. Cover for 15 minutes. Brown meat while chili sauce is cooking. Gently mix drained beans, chili sauce and meat. Broil gently for a few minutes longer. Makes 6-8 servings.

Red Chili Sauce

4 dried ancho or fresh pasilla chilies, or 3 tbsp. chili powder, or 1 tsp. crushed red pepper 4 med. tomatoes (1 1/2 lbs.) or 1 (15 oz.) can tomato puree 1 med. onion, cut up 1 clove garlic, minced 1 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. sugar 1 tbsp. cooking oil

Cut chilies open. Discard stems and seeds. Cut chilies into small pieces with scissors or a knife. Place in bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand 45 to 60 minutes. Drain. To peel tomatoes, dip them in boiling water for 30 seconds; plunge into cold water. Slip skins off. Quarter tomatoes. Place in blender container; cover and blend until nearly smooth. Measure 2 cups of the blended tomatoes; return to blender container (or place canned tomato puree in blender container). Add the drained chilies or chili powder or crushed red pepper. Add onion, garlic, salt and sugar; cover and blend until smooth. In 1 1/2 quart saucepan combine tomato mixture and cooking oil. Cook and stir over medium heat about 10 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Makes 2 cups.

Reply to
Billy

Hi Billy,

Awesome directions! Thank you!

You do know I am diabetic? We correspond over on alt.food.diabetic frequently.

Do you have a Diabetic/Paleo substitute for the beans? How about two pounds of ground beef/roast?

What Red Peppers would you use? Ancho? Chimayo? Cayenne?

And, what would you substitute for the Cumin, which my wife is allergic to (can't use Chili powder for the same reason)?

You are the man! Thank you!

What a minute, one one clove of Garlic?!?!?! :-)

-T

Reply to
Todd

No substitutes. Yes I have diabetes, and arteriosclerosis. My excitement is waiting to see which one gets me first. If you are T2, exercise to a sweat before you eat. That should help.

Reply to
Billy