Please help with Jasmine!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I just have a quick question if anyone can answer it!

I'm new to pretty much all aspects of gardening, but I'm very keen, so much so that a shop near where i work gave me two jasmine plants they were going to throw out because they thought they were dead.

I'm afraid I don't know much about which type of jasmine it is. It grows around a looped wire and has tiny white buds - not very helpful, i know, but its all I got :) There is still green on them, they look alive, some buds are dead and some leaves are but there are living ones also. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could try to save them? I have repotted them - when I took them out of their old pots it was clear they needed more space!!!

Any suggestions are appreciated :)

Reply to
danny22

just found out, its called chinese jasmine - jasmine polyanthum. if that helps! i have watered it, compost is damp but not waterlogged. should i cut away the buds? im thinking of taking a couple of cuttings off each, so even if they do die i might be able to grow something new from them!

Reply to
danny22

To get a very quick, informative answer put "jasmine polyanthum" into a search engine (Google) and learn everything you need to know. I don't know where you are in the UK but I'm in Seattle, USA, much the same climate as London, and this plant grows like gang busters out in my garden.

Val

Reply to
Val

I carefully nursed 5 winter jasmine plants for 2 years. They should be in bloom about now, but the deer have stripped them to the ground!

Reply to
Phisherman

Hi newbie here. Somebody told me that beer and birth control pills are good fertilizers. Is this true? Have any of you guys tried it?

Btw, I'm glad to find a gardening forum finally! I hope I'll have fun with you guys.

Reply to
jeanthegardener

jeanthegardener wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk:

nope, not true. beer is good for attracting slugs & snails. there are far more useful things for your garden than crackpot concoctions. compost is the best thing for soil improvement. seaweed is a good fertilizer, especially for tomatoes.

there are a few unkind posters, but mostly people are helpful here lee

Reply to
enigma