pineapples

I'de like to grow a pineapple from the top of the fruit just to see if I can do it . If I can I'll have a neat plant and If I cant' well I'd have thrown out the top any way after eating it. any one know how to cultivate a plant from the top. I looked for a web site to tell me hoe to do it but could not find one thanks Michelle

Reply to
Michelle

I found this among other things by doing a search at

and using keywords "pinapple propagation"

WiGard

I've had considerable success (about 80% of the times) by cutting off the top c. 2 inches of the fruit, then tirmming away the jucy part, leaving just a cylinder about the size of the base of the crown, removing a few of the basal leaves, turning it upside-down to dry & callous for a week or two, then planting it in a lose organic mix -- being careful not to over-water at first, but keeping the humidity high and misting the top lightly with water daily, preferably in the mid-morning (like most Bromeliadacea, the leaves have little scales that trap water which is absorbed by glands underneath them). After it's well-rooted, I feed lightly about once a month.

Don't expect to get tasty fruit, however -- that requires a big plant and a tropical climate. (Well... okay, I _did_ get reasonably good (though not very sweet) fruit from plants I grew in the greenhouses at the Los Angeles County Arboretum, but that wasn't under house conditions.)

Don Fitch, Covina, CA.

Reply to
Don Fitch

g'day michelle,

easy just twist the top of the pineapple peel off the bottom couple or so layers of smaller leaves this will create a stub and you will be able to see the nodules where the roots will come from, plant this pretty much into any potting medium water it in keep it reasonably well watered and in a place where it will get good sun even direct full on sun.

they say if you let the top dry out a bit for 2 or 3 weeks will fruit quicker, but then in your neck of the woods fruiting may take a long time to occure anyway.

len

snipped

Reply to
len gardener

I see others have answered, but thought I'd mention a book the library

*might* have. I read about pineapples, and all the other plants he grew from other "leftovers,"it's: The After Dinner Gardening Book.

Janice

Reply to
Janice

I have grown them successfully by simply placing the twisted off top in moist soil and it will root on its own.

chaz

Reply to
chaz

David Hill

Oh I'm so excited I read the website that was provided and I decided to root it in some water with plant food and it's already working the top looks better and little roots are protruding from teh place where I stripped off the bottom leaves from the crown . Thanks so much soon I will pot it It looks cool My kids are thrilled Thanks again michelle

Reply to
Michelle

Dear Michelle,

Be aware that pine apple takes several months near a whole year before it gives fruit. And it needs hot climate, so it should be cultivated in a greenhouse to get better results. I am from a hot tropical country, Mauritius. Once I tried to plant pineapple, after waiting for around 6 months, I could not longer wait. I just tore it out of the soil 7 threw it away. I learned much later that it takes around 1 year before it gives results.

Joseph

I *must* have that book! I *love* growing things from unlikely seeds or cuttings. Usually have a spindly avocado around, and am still trying with citrus. Now if I could just grow shrimp from a shrimp shell... :-)

Reply to
Frogleg

The fun of many of these trials aren't so much producing fruit, as making something grow. I often plant ginger and have achieved several pretty plants, but by no means a sure supply of ginger. A sprouting garlic clove is worth planting, and a chunk of horseradish must be confined, or it will take over your garden. Even if not suited to the outdoor climate, a pineapple or citrus may be an interesting houseplant.

Reply to
Frogleg

And don't forget the ''sweet potato in a jar'' plant. (Put the end of the potato into water as you would an avocado seed) You can also have nice plants for outside: when the stems on the sweet potato are about 3-4 inches long, Gently pull them off and put the ends in about 1/2 inch water. As soon as roots begin to develop, either plant outside or into pots. They can go outside when danger of frost is past, (very frost tender.) They will even bloom with small, morning glory-like flowers.

Emilie Nor Cal

Reply to
MLEBLANCA

Reply to
Michelle

Do you know who the Author is ? This book sounds great

Reply to
Michelle

We used to have a little orange tree in our house in Michigan, from a seed from an orange, of course. We also had a peach tree in the back yard from a peach pit.

Reply to
Skirmishd

Not only that, the philodendron-like flowers are edible.

Reply to
Benny F. Sevilla

No way I've tryed my whole life when I was a kid to grow a peach and my mom said it would never work and still I tried time and time again and nothing never got one how did you do it did you just put it in the ground and wamo it grew? I never got an orange seed to sprout either

Reply to
Michelle

Google is your friend. Author: Langer, Richard W.

Reply to
Frogleg

Hi Skirmishd

Did your peaches get lots of insect larvea in it? In my country Mauritius, peaches are infested with insect larvea. We can`t get proper good peaches without using lots of insecticides.

There's a peach tree growing in my front yard that volunteered, grew from a fallen peach. Elberta peach tree was the parent, offspring could be either self-pollinated peach or could be at that time there were other peach and nectarines growing in the yard, but I'm pretty sure it's just a self-pollinated elberta peach offspring.

The After-Dinner Gardening Book by Richard W. Langer is out of print, but if you do a search on it, you'll find many prices from 99 cents to $16.99 are the two extremes I saw in just a couple minutes, probably could be found on e-bay too. Never can tell ;-)

Reply to
Janice