Peony dead spot

I have a row of about 20 peony plants established about 20 years ago. They grow great and bloom great with one exception. Right in the middle of the row is a dead spot. Nothing will grow there. If I plant a peony there, it will send a shoot up in the spring but before it is 6 inches tall, the base will rot and thats it. I have tried digging out the soil and replacing it to no avail. What's my next step? What do I look for? I'm thinking of just digging the two established plants on either side and moving them just a tad bit closer together to smooth out the gap but I really would like to get a new plant to grow

Reply to
JMagerl

I would try to grow some annuals there and see what happens. If they do well I would try peonies again after that you have your soil tested. Your local county extension office can likely do that for you at little or no cost.

Reply to
Bill R

What is the flower in the last picture of page #30?

Reply to
Val

It is a Dianthis called "Black and White Minstrals". I got the seeds from Thompson & Morgan,

Bill R

To see pictures from my garden visit

What is the flower in the last picture of page #30?

It is a Dianthis called "Black and White Minstrals". I got the seeds from Thompson & Morgan,

R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969

To see pictures from my garden visit

NO_WEEDS_ in e-mail address to reply by e-mail

unless u definitely know what is causing the spot not to grow anything i really wouldnt jump at moving your peony bushes closer together because i dont think this is going to solve your problem. i do think that if u did this u might end up losing two good bushes that are well established just for the fact of closing in a bare spot. an idea might be to find a statue or something that would accent your peony garden and place it on the bare area rather than start fooling around with something that is really well established. the only other thing that u could do is get a soil test kit and test your soil or send a soil sample away to be tested. good luck sockiescat

-- sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat