Caring for tree peony?

I bought a house that has a well established tree peony. I really have no idea how to care for it, and it's a spectacular plant. The flowers last spring were the size of soccer balls!

Can anyone tell me the proper care for these? Should they be pruned at any time? Fertilized? Thanks in advance!

Jo Ann

Reply to
Jo Ann

I never pruned mine or fertilized but my mulch is on the heavy side.

This is the only plant which I sprayed twice with a systemic to deal with some sort of red spot problem. This 6 years ago since then no problems which may be due to increase light in my yard ? Once had a problem with ants that killed a young peony. Have 4 growing well with paranoid concern ;)).

Bill who will be looking for upward facing tree peonies this year. Picky Picky Picky.

Reply to
William Wagner

William Wagner wrote in news:not-to- snipped-for-privacy@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net:

Uh... ants are supposed to be on peonies. They help the blossoms open. ???

Reply to
FragileWarrior

In article , FragileWarrior

Reply to
William Wagner

Bill I always heard that ants were a common but necessary evil on peonies?

Reply to
betsyb

Without ant's and vulture's we would be knee deep in dead rotting matter. They are trying to clean up not evil a blessing. Still those ant's can do what they do outside my home along with termites.

The ant's on flower's are there because the plant called them. I'm more concerned about honey bee's not being able to find home these days. Weird!!!

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Thanks for the tips on your experience with your tree peony. I have regular (bush?) peonies as well as my tree peony, and when it comes to ants, the same experience: The regular peony attracts ants, the tree peony does not.

I didn't prune mine last year because I thought (correctly, as it turned out) that the seed pods and stems would be attractive in the winter landscape. However, it looks a little ratty now that spring is here, which is what had me wondering if I should have cut it back.

And now, Bill, you've got me wanting to check out upward-facing tree peonies, too, LOL!

Jo Ann

Reply to
Jo Ann

No, that is a "folk tale". Ants are not necessary for peony buds to open. I have peonies, some with ants and some without; buds open just fine on them both.

Tree peonies are nice in warmer climates, since they need less winter chill than herbaceous types.

Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

correct. it is a folk tale. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo