Outdoor Cyclamen

Would be grateful for some advice please.

We bought some pots of Cyclamen from B&Q in August (garden variety) they have bloomed non stop and there are still some buds to come out. I have no idea whether they should be left outdoors and am concerned about the uk winter.

We do not have a greenhouse, so I wondered if they would be better wintering in our conservatory. it is not heated but at least they would be out of the frost and snow.

Thank you

Reply to
aberdeen

They are fairly hardy, but won't stand severe frosts - if the corm freezes it will go mushy when it thaws. Overwintering in an unheated conservatory would probably be fine as they don't like too much warmth, either. As long as the conservatory is more or less frost free they will be fine.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I was just reading about them on Wikipedia a few days ago. Check it out, different species have different low temperature limits.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Many thanks Dan, I will take a look at Wikipedia

Jeff, thank you for that.

I did actually bring them in today, I just didn't think a hard frost would do them any good even though they be winter flowering.

They are in the light and the conservatory, though a little on the cold side at the moment will be frost free.

Hopefully they will survive the Winter!

Reply to
aberdeen

Hi Aberdeen, I'm assuming that's where you are ?? I have sold about 3000 of these cyclamen this year and the type I grow is a variety called 'Miracle' !! I dont know what B&Q sell but yes, a conservatory where you are might be best but dont overwater them. They will flower until next March/April and then if you have some trees, plant them out under those and they should come up again in August/September next year.

Most people tend to overwater them, leave them dry out and if possible water early in the morning to allow the foliage to dry out before night time.

regards, Lannerman.

Reply to
lannerman

Thanks Lannerman, that's really helpful.

I don't know what species they are, it seems to be a generic B&Q plant name "Verve".

I definately take your point about the watering, as the soil was pretty wet. Have pulled out the wilted leaves and will leave to dry out a little then follow your instructions.

Thanks again

Regards

Aberdeen

Reply to