OT: Microwave cooking

eal with a friend who has an (ill-founded IMHO) prejudice against microwave cooking.

xperience I am bound to respect, even if I don't agree with his thinking pr ocess. (He was brought up in a rural setting in the Veneto where micros wer e unknown; he strongly prefers eating fresh food only; does not like to reh eat, et.

ove cooking in water works by heating the same molecules from the outside i n.

micro doesn't lose them.)

ect his thinking process is, uh, unscientific, but it's his taste buds... ( and possibly his confirmation bias..?)

hefs not use micros? My first reaction was because of the large quantities that would overwhelm kitchen resources. But any inherent reason?

AN FUNCTION AGAIN!

Thanks to all for comments. Like most threads, this one swerved into vario us paths, often projections by posters about what I know, what I like/eat, how MWs function, and the usual few gratuitous snarkisms, suggesting I'm de tached from reality.

As a gentle reminder, I was not seeking info on use/science of MWs which I have studied. I was bouncing an outside professional opinion off the NG re: *taste* of food prepared in MW. The "outside opinion" source may be emoti onal rather than scientific; I don't propose to put him on trial.

I must have a rather dull palate, because MW cooking doesn't offend me tast e-wise. Well,even *I* can tell a baked in the oven potato from one basical ly steamed in the MW, but if I'm a hurry, which I often am, I just go with the MW.

Pax vobiscum.

HB

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

:-)) I too am wondering why that link was posted. I'm scratching my head as to its relevance to anything that has so far been said in this thread and certainly it's got nothing whatsoever to do with what you'd written. Perhaps Boron's is currently experiencing some silly season associated "reality" issues ATM.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

who has an (ill-founded IMHO) prejudice against microwave cooking.

I suspect his thinking process is, uh, unscientific, but it's his taste buds...(snip)

from one basically steamed in the MW, but if I'm a hurry,

What a waste of our time!

Reply to
Fran Farmer

Boron, that basically agrees with everything David said. What was your point?

Reply to
~misfit~

Or perhaps you are just being rude, or lack reading comprehension, as does DHS.

The poster implied nutritional loss. The link I posted talked about that.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Kind of depends on if you are original cooking or reheating.

Think of cooking a steak. On the stove, you sear both side to seal in the juices. The browning adds to the flavor. (You can also make a great cream gravy from the browning left on the pan.) Can't do that with a nuker.

Basically, a nuker is great for wet stuff. Anything were sealing in juices in not an issue. Vegetables for example. And browning does not add to the flavor.

I often use my nuker to prepare ingredients that the final phase is to cook in a pan. Melting butter for instance

Reply to
Todd

Hi Higgs,

The give away is the hard burned spots.

Try this. Nuke up some broccoli with butter and maybe a bit of real chicken broth (not the store bought broth, that is mainly chemicals).

Then dice up some potatoes (be careful, potatoes contribute to T2 Diabetes), nuke up with some butter and rosemary. The dicing makes for more even cooking.

Combine. Sea salt to taste. A quick yummy meal.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Not seeing it as a problem. She is just talking with her friends. And no one is forcing anyone to read anything.

Reply to
Todd

Fran has a thingie about me dating back some time. Doesn't bother me; I learn from all posts,l whether positive or negative.

But thanks for kind words.

HB

for some time back. It doesn't bother me. I learn from all opinions, whether positive or negative.

Thanks for understanding thoughts,

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

(wipes drool from screen...)

HB

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

Send me the bill.

HB

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

:-)

Reply to
Todd

Hi Higgs,

Don't forget the Rosemary!

A customer of mine grows her own Rosemary. It wipes me out it is so good. She loves to watch me smell the bag she makes up for me. (She grows apples too. She picks the small ones for my wife who is on the same diet as I am.)

All the haha fresh rosemary I get in the store tastes like bland pine needles. Yuk! I live for my customer's Rosemary (love in on my fried chicken and in my chicken broth). I prefer the dried stuff over the store fresh stuff. Garden fresh rules!

Ha! We got back to gardening!

-T

Reply to
Todd

I have had a rosemary bush outside the kitchen door forever. As it gets older & scruffier, I can't help wondering whether there's a hint in there for moi. I hope not!

As to get[ting] back to gardening, when did it become a hanging offense to post an OT? All people have to do, as you felicitously pointed out, is not read it. Or filter the perp.

HB

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

Especially since the "eating" is the end part of the "growing"!

I know another newsgroup that should be alive and well, but no one posts to it anymore. There is an enforcer on it that makes sure everyone stay on topic, except for her. It effectively removed the friendship aspect of the group and the group died.

Reply to
Todd

I said

Incidentally a micrwave does

Are you saying that no nutritive value is lost by cooking? (By MW or any other means?)

Are you saying no liquid (water with dissoved substances) is lost when microwaving or is it that no such liquid has any nutritional value?

Unless you taking issue with me on those I don't know what you are going on about. This is why you saying what you actually mean is far better than pointing to an article and leaving it to me to work out the connection in your mind between what it says and what I said.

Reply to
David Hare-Scott