Nimblewill spreading throughout the yard

I thought I had this Nimblewill mostly out of my 1/2 acre lawn by digging, but this Sping/Now Summer it is popping up all over the yard. Don't know i f birds or poltergeist did the dirty deed, but how can I control, or better yet, rid my yard of this weed. Any chemical means???

Reply to
hrhofmann

I've never heard of it but apparently there are selective herbicides. Google them up.

Reply to
Frank

Only thing I could find was "Tenacity", but haven't been aboe to find a pla ce that sells the stuff, and the manufacturers website doesn't even show a place to get that info, only possible pathway I could find is "down" for so me indeterminate length of time..

Reply to
hrhofmann

Seems to be on Amazon unless you are in California or Hawaii.

It has some good reviews. I think I'll try it, sounds like August would be the right time of year here in NJ.

Reply to
Dan.Espen

Careful spot treating with glyphosate if you can't get Tenacity. You can put a paper/plastic cup over the end of a spray wand to limit overspray, which will kill the all the grass, even your desired lawn grasses. (If you can get a piece of sod that is compatible with your lawn, you can use it to fill in the spots where the nimblewill grew.)

Nimblewell spreads by seeds as well as stolen. and the seeds are often spread by the lawnmower so don't let it go to seed, mow the infested part last, clean the mower deck after use, and consider using a preemergent next spring.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I contacted the manufacturer of Tenacity and found a local John Deere Lands capes company that sold me an 8oz bottle for $110. 1 tsp will make up 2 ga llons of spray, and that means I have enough to last me a lifetime. I will apply it tomorrow if the weather doesn't rain and I'll report back here if it works or not.

I did flinch a little at the price, but if it works it will keep my lawn fr om looking like I abandoned it. I do have a few weeds, but nothing as perv asive as the nimblewill and the other weeds do respond to "normal" weedkill er. I am too old to get down on my hands and knees to dig out all the numb lewill, so the price was right.

Reply to
hrhofmann

dscapes company that sold me an 8oz bottle for $110. 1 tsp will make up 2 gallons of spray, and that means I have enough to last me a lifetime. I wi ll apply it tomorrow if the weather doesn't rain and I'll report back here if it works or not.

from looking like I abandoned it. I do have a few weeds, but nothing as pe rvasive as the nimblewill and the other weeds do respond to "normal" weedki ller. I am too old to get down on my hands and knees to dig out all the nu mblewill, so the price was right.

You could hire a few high school kids for the same price, speaking of hands & knees

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I gave the "pull it by hand" approach about 4 years before I gave up. They really do come back. I don't think they came back from seed either. Although Nimbleweed pulls easily, I think little pieces of the roots can start new plants.

Reply to
Dan.Espen

Well, I gotr out my regular sprayer this morning, and used it to apply some leftover regular weed killer so I could then mix up and spray the Tenacity starting from scratch.

As luck would have it, my 20+ year-old sprayer decided to bite the dust aft er about 5 minutes of applying the existing mixed up weed killer. The gear s between the motor and the actual pump finally died. So, I took it apart and decided that it just wasn't worthwhile trying to find new gears of the right size/diameter and tooth pitch. So tonight I went to Menards and got a new battery-operated sprayer, and Tenacity goes on tomorrow morning if no rain in the weather forecast.

From the Tenacity instructions, it weill take 5-7 days to see results, so t une in next week to hear how things are going.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Yikes! Time has sure changed. Mind saying where you are?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I live in the western Chicago suburb recently voted 4th snobbiest city in the USA by the Movoto real estate folks, I think it was.

Real problem is all older folks, only 1 or 2 teenagers in 50 some-odd houses, and they have after-school and summer events structured by their "snobby" parents so working with their hands and knees getting dirty is not their future or even present.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I'm reading that a pre emergent as used for crab grass can work.

Like I said, don't know about your weed, but have a problem with Japanese stilt grass and premerg is all that will work and not too good at that. Damn weed puts out so many seeds that pulling just gives more soil for other seeds to sprout.

Reply to
Frank

some leftover regular weed killer so I could then mix up and spray the Tenacity starting from scratch.

after about 5 minutes of applying the existing mixed up weed killer. The gears between the motor and the actual pump finally died. So, I took it apart and decided that it just wasn't worthwhile trying to find new gears of the right size/diameter and tooth pitch. So tonight I went to Menards and got a new battery-operated sprayer, and Tenacity goes on tomorrow morning if no rain in the weather forecast.

so tune in next week to hear how things are going.

That weed does sound pernicious. I had some nutgrass / purple spurge a few years back. That was really nasty, it spread by runners, tubers and seed; nor does glyphoshpate (roundup) work on it. Fortunately there is a specific chemical that works, called manage i think. It did the trick though.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

per hour minimum.

WTH, that is well above minimum wage.

?-(

Reply to
josephkk

It is now six days since I applied the Tenacity and the Nimblewill is reall y dying. I have a lot of pale straw-colored patches in the yard where I ap plied the spray. It is really amazing, the lawn grass interspersed with th e Nimblewill has not changed color at all, and the Nimblewill looks like it is on the way out. Only thing is I now can see a bunch of smaller weed pa tches that I didn't see the first time around, so I will have to go out tom orrow and give them a dose of spray. But, it looks like Tenacity is a winn er for me over the Nimblewill.

Reply to
hrhofmann

My other pernicious weed is violet. Any violets in your yard? Any effect? Weed-be-gone seems useless.

Reply to
Dan.Espen

Yes, we do have a few violets. I find that repeated spraying of Spectracid e weed killer does work, but takes several applications close together. I also have been known to apply a couple of drops of Roundup directly onto a violet leaf, avoiding any grass. I'll try the Tenacity on the violets if I can find any, they're pretty well gone.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Never thought of a drop of Roundup. That sounds like that might be pretty easy. I have a spare eyedropper. I tried a paint brush. Couldn't easily get the liquid on the leaves.

Reply to
Dan.Espen

For grins, I tried spraying the Tenacity on crabgrass, it worked great. No w I have several more pale spots in my yard, but the Tenacity does not seem to have had ANY effect on my normal grass (Don't know what varieties I act ually have, it is a mixture of various stuff from when we bought the house

49 years ago and what I have reseeded over the years.
Reply to
hrhofmann