mums' bloom time

Here's my situation. I live in northern Illinois. I have wonderful hardy mums growing on the south side of my house. I've had them for about 3 years and they've been great each year. However, I have a bit of a problem with their bloom time. As of right now there are many buds forming and a few of them have opened enough that I can see the color of the blooms. I know I have to pinch them and I did a couple weeks ago. Should I have pinched them again to keep these buds from forming? Should I pinch them now? If I pinch off buds will they get new buds later on? One other note is that they are only 4 or 5 inches tall and very full and leafy. For that reason I didn't think pinching again was necessary because I thought pinching was primarily used to make the plant bush out and stay compact. Your advice is appreciated.

Reply to
MVD

The rule I have alwasy gone bu is to keep them clipped (no buds) until the 4th of July. I am in North Carolina so maybe where you are leaving them alone at this point would be fine. When do they bloom in the fall? Here they are not at their peak until O(ctober. Then oc course you could clip one plant and leave the others to see what happens. Could help for nexr year.

MJ

Reply to
mj