Mulch/Posion Sumac??

Has anyone ever heard of getting poison ivy/oak/ or sumac from mulch??? A couple of weeks ago I decided to try this black Eucalyptus mulch and three days later I awoke with this weeping rash that I had to go get a cortizone shot for today. One of my customers said they got poison sumac from mulch and it took a while to heal??? Is this true???

Reply to
Shellie Cahill

It seems possible. While I was at the landscape supply yard last year they were accepting all sorts of crap that people were hauling in - truck loads of trees, bags of yard waste, and so on. It was obvious that most of it was from areas that were being cleared. They were feeding it into a big chipper. I'm sure that no one was picking out the poison ivy and other rash causing plants. The oils that irritate you skin can be active for a long, long time.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I know that about 10 years ago I got a horrible rash from hardwood mulch. But just so you know, eucalyptus is an irritant to the skin for most folks.

Reply to
Betsy