moss growth

Hello everyone

I hope that you can help me I need to find out urgetnly how long does the moss grow - the usua moss that grows on the roofs and for what period I searched all over the internet but I could find the info. the onl thing I`ve found was that moss can grow 4-6 inches, but it didn`t sa for what period of time?

Please help :)

Many thanks in advanc

-- nelli

Reply to
nelli

Ambiguous question.

Moss will grow for as long as it gets sufficient water and nutrients. Most mosses need very little nutrition (many will in fact die if fertilised), and can survive rather sever droughts. They go into dormancy, and revive when the rains return.

The moss on the roof is living off the dust in the air, and the rain and dew. It's also living off the roof itself. Moss on roofs is a sign that the roof is beginning to deteriorate, and the moss itself increases the rate of deterioration, especially wooden shingles, since the moss tends to hold moisture. May look nice, but it's time to replace the roof.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir