Mini palm question

Last winter after a rare freeze I rescued a neighbors palm they were throwing away. It is one of those little ones that have several grafts on it. This one has 4 palms growing off the same stalk. Can I cut off any of these grafts without killing either the main stalk or the ones I cut off? I suppose any I cut off won't have any of the roots, so maybe they will be done for, but I'd like to end up with just two palms on the stalk. Thanks for your suggestions.

Reply to
Paul O.

Palms are never grafted and not many can be layered. Also, very few species have actual branches. If this plant has one trunk emerging from the soil and other palms growing from this, then perhaps it was damaged from the cold and the bud has split and produced other stems. This can happen. If you cut these off they will die. I am suspecting that perhaps it is not a palm. Post a pic to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens if possible for an id. HTH -_- how no NEWS is good

Reply to
how

I had a reply similar to yours and also thought palms were never grafted but look at this-

As far as the OP- perhaps it is a cycad with bubils?

Reply to
Buderschnookie

Hi, What is shown in the link you posted is a date palm stem being removed from, not grafted to, the parent stem. Layering not grafting.

so many things called palms, you may be correct with the cycad guess. To the OP we need a pic. To Bunderschnookie what kind of palms are you growing in KY? HTH -_- how no NEWS is good

Reply to
how

Zero :) Just moved back after 30 years in SoFla and miss my palms terribly. Still have the old house palm page up

Buderschnookie

Reply to
Paul O.

Hi, For sure a palm, Phoenix reclinata, aka Senegal date, is my guess. The presence of sharp spines on the lower petiole will confirm it as a Phoenix of some type. Reclinatas are usually clumping palms, meaning that even if you cut the stems you don't want, more will grow. You can keep cutting them off to maintain the look you want. You might be able to split the clump and have two plants, iffy but possible. Is this to remain a potted plant or is it going in the land scape as reclinatas get large. HTH -_- how no NEWS is good

Reply to
how

Reply to
Paul O.