Canary Island Palm root ball

I have a 30 ft Canary Island Palm, 25 inch diameter main trunk at 2 ft from the ground. Main trunk is about 2 ft from a wall.

it has not been maintained for years. Smaller trunks have come up all around the base, and one on the back is now touching the wall.

I plan to cut the back trunk off to the ground and not the entire tree.

My question is, will it damage the tree if i continue to cut downward into the root ball?

If you email me i cab send you photos. Thx.

(Is there another group that is more on trees, palms, etc?)

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
fred.simms.jr

Are you sure the smaller growths are branches from the older palm? Could they instead be seedlings and thus separate plants?

In any case, consider the following two items:

  • If you cut off the top of the side growth of a palm, it will die. You will have to cut across the trunk and not merely cut away the fronds. If you leave a stump, eventually it will rot at the base and be easily broken away.
  • Palms are well known for adventitious roots. That is, they will grow more roots if existing roots are cut. There is no taproot. As long as you do not cut away more than half of the root ball, the older palm is safe PROVIDING you do not destabilized it. You might have to provide some support for the older palm for one or two years while new roots grow. I have a fan palm (Washingtonia filifera) in a 15-inch flower pot in front of my house. This year I will AGAIN remove it from the pot, trim about 2 inches from the sides of the root ball and about 3 inches from the bottom, and then repot it with some fresh potting mix to replace what I trimmed. I do this every 4-5 years without killing the palm.
Reply to
David E. Ross

Thanks david! I will check tomorrow. If the small ones are separate, can i dig deep between one and the main trunk and repot it without risk of damaging the main tree?

Reply to
fred.simms.jr

Mos5t likely, Yes.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Thx.its worth a try.

Today i saw there are two tall trunks, between 2-6 ft all around the main ones starting right up against the mains ones.

So much trimming to be done. Cant see any trunks.

So glad you posted. Besides saving this nicely shaped tree, i can do the trimming and save $1000-2000 quoted to cut all down.

One said it would cost hundreds for the calif state disposal fee. Said its considered hazardous waste. ??? And we wonder why calif is corrupt.

Reply to
fred.simms.jr

DO NOT deal with anyone who claims the palm is hazardous waste!!

The tree service I use always brings a chipper. I live in Ventura County, where the county runs a composting service. A chipped tree will be taken for free.

Along US 101, I see several palms that were topped, which caused them to die. They were topped to prevent them from interfering with overhead utility lines. If the utilities can leave these dead palms standing -- which indeed is a fire hazard -- then they cannot be considered hazardous.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Yep, the guy was thinking i just got off a bus with a chicken...

I did more reasearch and talking around. I have to be really sure if i leave this palm in.

I may be repeating.... The trunk is about 20 in diameter at 2 feet off the ground which is the top of the root ball. The block wall is 16 inces from the side of the trunk. Root ball speads out and touches the wall but roots just turn away and dont push the wall.

I need to demo the wall and replace it on the same foundation. Its on property line and i cant move wall away farther from tree.

What im wondering is if i can cut the root ball straight down that side if the trunk and stop at the ground, would the rest of the roots be enough to keep the palm from tipping?

Cost to remove tree is $1500-2500 from quotes on site. Cutting rootball i can do myself.

Local nurseries dont seem knowledgable. Arborist society wont refer anyone. Glad to pay someone with correct info to come and advise.

Reply to
fred.simms.jr

To see photos, email snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com. Or if i can find a place to upload them and then remove them i will post the link.

Thanks buddies.

Reply to
fred.simms.jr

I use this photo site now and then:

Supposedly you can set an expiration date. But I have my doubts that anything you put on the web nowadays ever disappears...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Per arborist, tree is a common desert palm, not canary island. Too risky to cut root ball and destabilize. Not practical to move. Must cut down.

Well worth hiring certified arborist. Evaluated, recommendations for 2 dozen large trees. Guesswork is over.

Reply to
fred.simms.jr

Will email photos before, after to anyone. Cant post online because of neighbor in bikini in background. Hubba hubba!

Reply to
fred.simms.jr