Canary Island Palm root ball

I have a 30 ft Canary Island Palm, 25 inch diameter main trunk at 2 ft from the ground. Main trunk is about 2 ft from a wall.
it has not been maintained for years. Smaller trunks have come up all around the base, and one on the back is now touching the wall.
I plan to cut the back trunk off to the ground and not the entire tree.
My question is, will it damage the tree if i continue to cut downward into the root ball?
If you email me i cab send you photos. Thx.
(Is there another group that is more on trees, palms, etc?)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Are you sure the smaller growths are branches from the older palm? Could they instead be seedlings and thus separate plants?
In any case, consider the following two items:
* If you cut off the top of the side growth of a palm, it will die. You will have to cut across the trunk and not merely cut away the fronds. If you leave a stump, eventually it will rot at the base and be easily broken away.
* Palms are well known for adventitious roots. That is, they will grow more roots if existing roots are cut. There is no taproot. As long as you do not cut away more than half of the root ball, the older palm is safe PROVIDING you do not destabilized it. You might have to provide some support for the older palm for one or two years while new roots grow. I have a fan palm (Washingtonia filifera) in a 15-inch flower pot in front of my house. This year I will AGAIN remove it from the pot, trim about 2 inches from the sides of the root ball and about 3 inches from the bottom, and then repot it with some fresh potting mix to replace what I trimmed. I do this every 4-5 years without killing the palm.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Mos5t likely, Yes.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/

DO NOT deal with anyone who claims the palm is hazardous waste!!
The tree service I use always brings a chipper. I live in Ventura County, where the county runs a composting service. A chipped tree will be taken for free.
Along US 101, I see several palms that were topped, which caused them to die. They were topped to prevent them from interfering with overhead utility lines. If the utilities can leave these dead palms standing -- which indeed is a fire hazard -- then they cannot be considered hazardous.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/
On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 18:13:03 -0700 (PDT) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I use this photo site now and then:
https://postimages.org/
Supposedly you can set an expiration date. But I have my doubts that anything you put on the web nowadays ever disappears...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI