Making Rainwater Harvesting Illegal

I gathered such, dipshit perhaps in our usage, and please, don't change language on our account!! I *love* the geographical and cultural differences, and the colorful colloquialisms, in the spoken and written word. If we don't get it, we can ask or look it up.

You're a right bastard for being considerate of our "ignorance" though. ;-)

Hell, water supplies in the US, and apperently England, are showing levels of antidepressants and other shit.

more to be found.

Yeah, but we're running out of running room!

If he is listening in, I'd like a brief description and/or some pics.

I'm liking len's insight on water/greywater harvesting and from what I've seen online, ya'll are leading the way in this, as you well need be doing.

Yep. By and large, we have become a nation of wussified...somethings.

Lots of nights, I have to dash as fast as me old legs can carry me to make it out to the compost pile. Thank god for the privacy fence. The loo is only ten steps away. ;-)

I would love to see those. Crossed with our local nightcrawlers? Yeah, baby. Bet they would be great carp bait! ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Well done you for querying his writing! Trouble is if we all did that for the idiotic things we saw/heard in the press we wouldn't have a life.

Reply to
FarmI

yin/yang and here we are again.

We often don't recognize the causes, let alone understand or acknowledge them, because we are unwilling to acknowledge the consequences, as well as acknowledge the causes. What is missing from this is the profit motive..the cause, so very often. Amongst other things.

Quotations, or aphorisms, are signposts along the path pointing folks to other areas and other thoughts. Lengthy diatribes and arguments are not particulary interesting or useful in groups such as this.

aph·o·rism (a-f'?-ri(z'?m) n.

  1. A tersely phrased statement of a truth or opinion; an adage. See Synonyms at saying. 2. A brief statement of a principle.
[French aphorisme, from Old French, from Late Latin aphorismus, from Greek aphorismos, from aphorizein, to delimit, define : apo-, apo- + horizein, to delimit, define; see horizon.] aph'o·rist n., aph'o·ris'tic (-ri(s'ti(k) adj., aph'o·ris'ti·cal·ly adv.

Often depends upon which side of the idealogical chasm one stands, doesn't it, Mike?

I find them quite useful.

Prosit Charlie, terribly horseshit?

"The major problems in the world are the result of the difference between how nature works and the way people think. Logic is a poor model of cause and effect." -- Gregory Bateson

Reply to
Charlie

Ignorance is very much part of the issue, you are making that more explicit. Visibility is closely related, I see a bird sitting on the roof, I don't see the dead beast in the reservoir. Either way it's a gut reaction not the result of considered thought.

How can you possibly sit on a toilet that doesn't have blue water? I suppose you expose your friends and children to such risks as well. You monster!

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

What birds leave on your roof may be unaesthetic but so are high levels of salts and chlorine often found in reticulated water.

Will roof water do you harm in comparison to the impurities in reticulated water? That probably depends on the samples being compared and how long you drink it. That town water would always be better is certainly not true, there are well known examples of inferior town water and of failures in purification systems in cities and towns leading to systemic risk to the population.

I would bet that my roof water would meet or exceed contemporary standards for microorganisms and far exceed those for salts, industrial pollution, heavy metals and miscellaneous environmental chemicals. And it has no chlorine. The downside is that if I had children here long term I would need to give them fluoride supplements.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

You have an odd attitude for someone who claims a background in pedagogy. Ecology: 1 the branch of biology that deals with the relations of organisms to one another and to their physical surroundings.

The highest "function" of ecology would then be to understand those relationships and determine the consequences of changes in their relationships.

But then a proponent of "Ditsy" (a.k.a. Dixie) Lee Ray isn't bound by logic. In 1973 Ray became chairperson of the AEC (a Nixon appointed marine biologist). A colorful and often controversial figure, Ray championed the expansion of nuclear power facilities and often found herself at odds with environmentalists. Convinced that nuclear power could be made absolutely safe, she urged construction of more nuclear power plants.

And we still don't have anyplace to put the longed lived poisons that come out of nuclear reactors.

Then there is her musings on air pollution. "We need to ask, for instance: Is there a good justification, a solid base of scientific facts for the presumed relation between air pollutants and human health?" Anyone? Anyone want to answer that?

No Oz, I don't think we need your advice on ecology.

Reply to
Billy

Funny, my dictionary says Drongo is Oz for idiot.

Reply to
Billy

Sign in a pleasure boat toilet, where pumping out costs money:

"In these isles of sun and fun. We never flush for number one."

Gary Woods

It is a common sign in any blue water sail boat head.

cheers

oz, who drank captured rainwater on a Pohnpean beach for one year and a Palauan rooftop for another.

Reply to
MajorOz

"...we" ? From a person who claims a background in understanding.

You seem to dredge up an Alzheimer-based hatred of Gov. Ray at every opportunity. Can you remember why? Being hidebound is not a virtue, you whiny drongo.

cheers

oz

Reply to
MajorOz

"...because" ? As in: *this* happens BECAUSE of *that* ?

"...this" ? What?

We may have problem in that we may be using the term "acknowledge" differently. I use it to mean an admission of existence, not as understanding or a need to understand.

DOING something -- anything -- about consequences of a perceived problem.....pollution, global warming, ingrown toenails, etc........without an understanding of causes is reminiscent of bleeding for fever.

Like bumperstickers.

Lengthy or (any) diatribe, I agree.

Arguments, however, are often necessary to the furtherance of understanding.

Of course; like one of my favorites: "One man's religion is another man's belly laugh."

Well........fun, maybe.

Where do you dig up these profoundly (pun intended) idiotic babblings? The first sentence reads like: "The difference between a duck is that one leg is the same" And the second cannot be honored by calling it horseshit. It is simply wrong. Logic is the ONLY model of cause and effect.

Greg (and I admit I didn't google him up) sounds like some of the folks I encountered at university who thought they understood science and engineering and then tried to apply it to the unquantifiable areas of human behavior, and, as a result, came up with the oxymoron: social and behavioral science

cheers

oz, whose favorite bumbersticker is: "If you ain't Christian, you ain't shit"

Reply to
MajorOz

Jesus Loves Me (But he can't STAND you) 2:59 Austin Lounge Lizards Employee Of The Month Country MPEG audio file 100 3 2/5/09 5:20 PM

Bill

Reply to
Bill

A legend in his own mind.

Can I get a citation for Alzheimer-based hatred? I've never heard of it.

"Ray championed the expansion of nuclear power facilities and often found herself at odds with environmentalists. Convinced that nuclear power could be made absolutely safe, she urged construction of more nuclear power plants."

So you must have the answer to nuclear waste. I'd love to hear it.

After all these years, the nuclear power industry cannot get private financing for to build new nuclear plants. They cannot get private insurance to guarantee against an accident like Three Mile Island. Why do you think that is is Oz?

Reply to
Billy

Appears what we have here is like it was in days gone by....our side of the bar was hollering "hell no, we won't go" and the other side of the bar was hollering "america, love it or leave it", then some fool would chuck a bottle or can and the brawl was on til everyone tired out and went back to their side and started hollering again.....

As far as your favorite bumpersticker, I've never quite figgerd that one out.....does it mean that if you *are* christian, you *are* shit?

Words and arrangement of words and understanding of arrangements of words are such subjective and funny things.

Charlie

"All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." -- Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie

Pick a place -- anyplace -- and pave over about a square mile. Then roof it over. Put concrete berms, maybe five feet or so high around the edges. Coat the entire system with ceramic. Put all the solid shit in there of whatever kind. Erect a fence around it, with locked gates. Put up signs, saying: "Don't f*ck with this or it will kill you. Walk away.

For liquid, various forms of distillation apparatus and incinerators exist to reduce it to solid See solution above.

cheers

oz

Reply to
MajorOz

That is the beauty of it: that it is confusing (and so VERY Christian).

He also must have been prescient re: the new crop of trendy ecoidiots when he said: "If you call a mule's tail a leg, then a mule has five legs; but calling it a leg doesn't make it a leg".

Damn.........you got me into abandoning thought and going for quotes. :)

cheers

oz, looking for morels, but not finding any

Reply to
MajorOz

I know it's far fetched but . . . what if someone flew a 747 into it. It could happen. People like you can really irritate some people, ya know. Good use of scatology. It compliments your invectives. It's just an example. Where there's a will, . . .

Reply to
Billy

LOL.

Indeed he was, and one of the greatest smartasses of all time.imnsho

"It is a good thing for an educated man to read books of quotations." -- Winston Churchill :-)

I'm believe that quotations *stimulate* thought.

But, on the other hand, there is this......

"He who trains his tongue to quote the learned sages, will be known far and wide as a smart ass." -- Howard Kandel

Complicates the issue, just a bit, neh?

Ahhhh......this proves you are an honest man....you say you found none. More lies and tall tales are told about 'shrooming than fishing! I hear the usual gas station talk about "Kenny and Bill" are finding a few.....but nobody has seen the mushrooms!

Now we're back on common ground. I haven't found any either, but it's been raining a lot, it hit 80 today and they are thinking it could even be warmer the next couple of before showers on Sat and Sun........looks like a recipe for a successful forage to me.

Wife's relatives around Wheatland and Bolivar are claiming some, but then, you never know..........about relatives either.

Charlie

"Eggs and mushrooms are a combination that?s hard to beat, so I suggested sautéing (the mushrooms) and tossing them with spaetzle ? those appealing little blobs of egg/milk/flour batter, but Mark was in Paris, where the bread is so good that adding other starches seemed to him like a waste of effort. Me, I?d go for the extra starch anytime, but I saw his point. So, I said, why not tear up some of that good bread, crisp the shreds in olive oil or butter and mix them with the cooked mushrooms? Like Spanish (not Tex-Mex) migas. Kind of.? --- Mark Bittman

Reply to
Charlie

In reviewing the day, I came back to this.

It was an uncalled for remark, disrespectful of you and of anyone ever afflicted by that horrible disease.

I humbly apologize to you and to anyone who may have read that episode and was rightfully offended by it.

We have disagreed and probably will continue to do so, but this was beneath all I stand for.

I am sorry

oz

Reply to
MajorOz

There's a typo in one of the paragraphs of the story. I fixed it:

"To date, drugmakers have dismissed the suggestion that their manufacturing contributes significantly to what's being found in water. Federal drug and water regulators are paid to agree."

Now it's accurate.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom