Making cider at home

Yeah, but it makes your house smell funky.

Anyway, have you seen (and this seems like a silly question) the article in Wikipedia on "Home Brewing Beer",

?

Under Packaging (?): Packaging Another fermentation vessel with fermentation lock, used for the second fermentation

Once the secondary fermentation is finished, the beer is ready for carbonation. There are two methods of carbonation. The first method does not require much capital expenditure per batch but is more time consuming. About 3/4 cup of corn sugar (dextrose) or other fermentable sugar is added to the beer, which is then transferred to bottles and then capped, or placed in a keg. The fermentation of the priming sugar in the closed container by left-over yeast suspended in the beer creates carbon dioxide which then dissolves into the beer. This takes 1-2 weeks. The second method involves pressurizing carbon dioxide into the beer into a special type of keg - either a Cornelius keg, the kind used in restaurants for soda storage, or a pressure barrel. Canisters of carbon dioxide, or soda chargers, can be released into the pressure barrel directly. The carbonation process then occurs almost instantaneously.

und so weiter,

Reply to
Billy

thats the way I am looking at going.

rob

Reply to
George.com

that guy thinks he has problems. Sarcastic cackle.

I am making my second batch of cider this weekend.

1/2 the apples were harvested Monday and have been sitting softening a few days. They were cut friday night. No problems.

The second 1/2 were scrumped off a neighbours tree in exchange for a regular supply of tomatos, some corn other veges etc. They are at home now. Thats no problem.

Mulching the first batch was not so bad. A couple of interuptions through the day slowed things down but they got done.

An old plastic chopping board got cut down to use as the press plate on my apple jig. It works better than the wooden board, as it won't suck up juice.

2 plastic boards will be better. An old spare I have will be cut to size tomorrow.

So, all ok there eh. Yup, good and fine you say. Snort.

Bloody press frame broke AGAIN. 4th time. The wood cost be stuff all. The nails and screws and gangnails must be a small fortune. Once again I bodged it back in to place for some pressing. Next time it goes it will be done for I think.

Mate lent me a fermenting bucket. Cool.

Drove round to pick it up. Stopped at intersection. 4 wheel drive ute ahead of me. He pulls off, I follow, he jams on breaks, I go in to his arse. Him, ok, metal chassis. Me, not ok. Dent in front panel and fold in bonnet. Company car. *$^&#*#&*$*$((*$**$(*(*()(()$(*()*())@@)@+@+_$*(&*(~_

Get round to mates place. Heres the bucket. Can't find lid though. Search again. No lid. Shite. Will have to go and see if I can buy one on monday.

juiced about 12 litres of juice. Put in bucket. Sulphited. Put towel across top to cover and will juice more tomorrow. Can comes inside. Jump on freezer. Jumps of freezer into fermenting barrell. Towel soaked with apple juice. Juice on floor. 1o litres left now.

Give me beer on carpet anyday.

rob

am now making tomato sauce. Hope thats turns out better.

Reply to
George.com

sorry, that should read "cat came inside"" not "can came inside"

no, sorry, that should be "*!%*&%#@ cat came inside"

cat? no where to be found, luckily for him.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Yeah, well, *I* make my house smell funky.

The kraut is in the garage.

Hmmm.....your question appears to not be silly in that I had *not* read this wiki reference, and was suffering indecision with too many options for carbonation and was being lazy and asking one who has much experience with things fermentable in order that I could escape responsibility for my own decisions. Your rap upon me noggin prompted me to do further research and come to a reasonable conclusion and calculation of what is needed.

und ich danke Ihnen

Reply to
Charlie

Oh Lord, sorry mate......your misfortune has been my merriment!!

Company car sucks too. Been there also. Company business, of course, with a side trip.

Many times my "latest project" has caused similar consternation and effups, Glad to see you are already on the road to upgrades and improvements.

You have a cat named "*!%*&%#@ cat" also!

The sumbitch cat that runs this household last summer managed to jump off the fence into a half full bucket of old cooking oil (that Lovey had several times reminded me to get rid of the week prior) and then "*!%*&%#@ cat" ran in the effing house and dripped that shit everywhere.

I had never given a cat a bath before and "*!%*&%#@ cat" had never had one either.

Sigh......whadda ya do. ;-)

Cheers Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I wish it was as easy to rap myself on the head (sigh).

Du bist damit formale, Junger. Ich glaube das wir konnen sich duzen, Ja?

Reply to
Billy

Boss "How did you dent the car, George?" George "um, er, making cider, us Boss". Boss "Do you want to keep your job?"

Did I also mention whilst cleaning up last night I stuffed the kitchen whizz. Put the mixing bowl in a hot wash in the dish washer. Bastard think came out warped.

Wife wasn't impressed. On way home from store this morning, having bought replacement, she asked me how many I had stuffed that way. Only 2 I told her. Asked her how many ipods she had broken (2 or 3 is the answer). In as many words got told where to go. Spent morning outside chopping apples. Used new kitchen whizz this afternoon, much better than old one. heaps faster and quieter. Decided buggering old whizz had some advantages.

Tomorrow, go and try and buy bucket for fermenting barrell and stop by panel beater for quote.

Probably about $50 per litre of cider thus far.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Hmmm.......too old to raise yer arms that high?

Ich wurde eines besseren belehrt zu respektieren meine Ältesten. Ich werde glücklich sein zu ändern, dass Sie alte Ziege.

Charlie

"Die ältesten Bäume tragen oft die süßesten Früchte." ;-) -- German Proverb

Reply to
Charlie

Good lord, man........what a rookie move. You've gotta pay for this, you know.

Spent or.....sent?

Ahhhh, nothing like a good whizz.....

Oh shit, this means another talk with the Boss!!

man, you're on a roll with this project. Been there, done that and really getting laughs from your troubles. I suspect this ain't over.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Food grade of course.

Reply to
Billy

Huh?!! Wen ist eine alte Ziege? Hinter dem Holzschuppen Kind.

Naturlick, das stimmt.

Reply to
Billy

laughs? snort.

rob

Reply to
George.com

yes, $9. Mate owes me $9 and the cost of the panel beating.

rob

Reply to
George.com

$500 bucks from one beater. Talk to another one tomorrow.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Ha! Sie denken, Sie haben genug poop links zu geben, um mir eine gute Tracht Prügel, alte fart?

Reply to
Charlie

Damn straight, mate. It was *definitely* his fault you were where you were when you stuck your nose up the ute's arse. Doesn't the bloody bastard realize the immediacy of a man's needs when on roundup for a new project? Small thing like a 4x4 will not get in the way of a mission.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

exactly, bastard. Thats showed him.

rob

50 litres of cider now under way. better be nice stuff, or else
Reply to
George.com

Wahrlich, eine schreckliche Kind.

Reply to