Looking for a cart for my heavy pot

I have a heavy pot 17" in dia and a foot deep indoors for the winter. I can't move it around because of its weight. I've been looking at some garden catalogs for a 3 or 4 wheel cart that would make it easier to move as the sun it faces makes its changes during this season, but have not been able to find any to my liking. any ideas where to look?

Reply to
Harri85274

I have one large plant sitting in a child's wagon. Others I have on wooden trivets that can be slid across the carpeting and keep the pot elevated off the floor. I've seen some large trivets at Home Depot, although it looked like they had rather cheap plastic casters on them. The best recommendations will depend on the kind of flooring you have. I have a 9 foot column cactus in a 18" pot and it is moved using a hand truck.

Reply to
Phisherman

Use 4 or 5 wooden dowels, 18" in length, to move the pot a short distance.

Reply to
Phisherman

It's good to know I'm not the only person who has a cactus that is huge................Mine is in a pot almost too large for a dolly. I have to grasp the rim of the nursery pot I've planted it into and lean backwards if I want to move it on the two wheeler. Otherwise I just drag it to the door jamb and angle it up and over and then drag it inside for winter. the jutting arms prevent me from really being able to just load it up and move it in anymore. I've had this beauty now for well going on 20 years......and I would suspect that rather than waste a cheap trivet, you could get some heavy duty casters (they come two in a bag) and MAKE a good trivet for your large plant. I came into some older brown school lunch trays that are almost indestructable, but were being thrown out for the newer, slicker trays. In my mind I saw perfect "saucers" for a large amount of pots during the winter. I also have some odd triangular ones that hospitals use because the woman I worked for one summer kept gathering them up and throwing them in the trash until I finally couldn't take it anymore and alerted the cafeteria staff to collect them unless they wanted an audit for hospital trays. I bagged a few for myself out of the trash and Deloras was fine with it. When I asked her why she threw them away, her remark to me was, "the hospital wastes money all the time, you think they'll miss a few trays? And the staff knows our job is to clean up and pick the area up for them, they can either take their trays back after their breaks outside or get them thrown away, ain't no money outa my pocket"

The one plant trivet that I deliberately bought for a large pot turned out not to have the craftsmanship I needed for wear and tear. thats why I suggested to make one. Lowes or Depot would cut the wood for you, and you can scrounge around for a pan or tray or container to sit in it to be a saucer for the plant. I do that too..... madgardener "Phisherman" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
madgardener

My situation is different. Mine is in my living room, and as the sun shifts this time of year, I need a nice looking receptacle with wheels to move it as such. I'm aware how I can get it outside in the spring again. Its esthetics that I'm concerned about,, maybe a nice round cart with the size slightly larger than the saucer which i bought at my local nursery...18" wide.

Reply to
Harri85274

A shallow wooden box with half a dz or more golfballs under it and the pot on top will move a quite heavy pot easily. Makes it easy to turn to keep the foliage full too. You ned to put a couple strips of wood inside to keep the balls from bunching up on one side.

Reply to
bamboo

Reply to
William Brown

Gardeners supply catalogue came today and has a nice looking caddy.

Go to:

do a search for caddy. The > I have a heavy pot 17" in dia and a foot deep indoors for the winter. I

Reply to
William Brown